£800 - price of a driving license

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

saorbust

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS350CDI
Or so I hear.

Sis in law has just failed her test for the 4th time - she didn't signal early enough I believe is the reason - no comment on that.

However she has heard via a friend, that you can send your license to a 'buddy' in the DVLA who for the price of £800 cash will be able to change it to a full license and then issue it to you.

I've no idea if this is true - but even so - surely the checking procedures at the DVLA would negate this possibility ? Makes a mockery of the system if occurs even once.......and this is for a legit license, not even a fake one.

Unreal.:eek:

no doubt its true, the buddy is abviously the guy who recieves accepted pass certificated, then all he does is crosses a few t's, dots a few i's in a computer and the licence is printed off, on the machine next to him.
So he is making a few quid of very dirty money, shame on him, people like that will be caught and when he is he will get his tuppence.

like there arent already alot of people driving about without full licences anyway!

SB, if she's failed for the 4th time. Please explain to her two things:

1) She shouldn't be on the road at all. Stop immediately and become a professional pedestrian.

2) If she must drive, please note that she has now been allocated to a BMW.

saorbust said:
I've no idea if this is true - but even so - surely the checking procedures at the DVLA would negate this possibility ? Makes a mockery of the system if occurs even once.......and this is for a legit license, not even a fake one.

Sounds like another urban myth!

The report from the examiner if filed straight onto a computer database and cant be altered.

And anyway, its the DSA ( Driving Standards Agency ) who deal with driving tests and licences, DVLA are responsible for vehicle registration and taxing.

Allan

There's a loophole with EU licensing at the moment, which can end up with a new full UK license without passing a test. In short, you pay some money (in the region of £500) to a company and they arrange for you to fly to one of the new EU countries (for instance Hungary) and get a new driving license by declaring that you have lost your existing one. You are taken to the relevant authorities and issued with a temporary license. An address in the country is given (a flat owned by the company), and a license is issued. That license is then collected by the company, who send it to the UK, where it is legally exchanged for a full UK driving license.

As it happens, the person I know who got their license this way is a relatively good driver who has been driving here for a year, but had a foreign license which cannot be exchanged for a UK one. Yes, he should have passed the test here, but he elected to have a holiday in Budapest instead. His insurance went down by more than the £500 he had paid, so it was a free holiday for him.

The company that organises this claim that what they do is legal. My theory is that it's legal for them, but by making a patently false declaration you are breaking the laws of the other country. However, since that other country doesn't seem to care (they have far more serious legal problems), you can get away with it. You break no laws in this country, because the UK has agreed a blanket acceptance of EU licenses.

It worries me that someone who can't drive could get a license in this manner. But then, at least the people who go to all this trouble to get a license will probably have insurance. There are many people out there driving without a license or insurance...

-simon

SimonsMerc said:
There's a loophole with EU licensing at the moment, which can end up with a new full UK license without passing a test. In short, you pay some money (in the region of £500) to a company and they arrange for you to fly to one of the new EU countries (for instance Hungary) and get a new driving license by declaring that you have lost your existing one.

Surely you would need some other form of ID to prove who you are, like a passport or ( as in most European countries) a national identity card which would rule out UK citizens being able to get a licence that way. I can see how a foreign national resident in this country could go back to their own country and do this, though I feel it is very unlikely to happen in the majority of cases.

Just call me Mr Cynical

Allan

From what I've read thousands of foreigners get other people to take the test for them.One guy took the test over 2000 times and charged clients 2k each.Once they have a license it opens the door to credit and housing benefit as we do not have an id card system in this country nor a log of who enters or leaves the country.

adam

Last edited:
saorbust said:
Or so I hear.

Sis in law has just failed her test for the 4th time - she didn't signal early enough I believe is the reason - no comment on that.

However she has heard via a friend, that you can send your license to a 'buddy' in the DVLA who for the price of £800 cash will be able to change it to a full license and then issue it to you.

Am not condoning such behaviour, but why not just drive on a provisional and take the fines as and when they come for driving unsupervised. She could even put L plates on her car to avoid an extra fine:D Am sure she would save a few hundred pound, and in the meantime take more lessons. A lot less corrupt than paying a buddy at DVLA.

If the test report sheets are the same as what you have on an with an MOD test then they do not have serial numbers. It would be quite simple to do if you were to be sitting behind the right computer at the DVLA.

I got my UK licence through the exchange program. Had to surrender my Australian licence to achieve it. Whole process was very grey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom