£810.56p!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glideman

Car
1993 E220 Estate
The front exhaust pipe has gone on my E220TE :( Went to the dealer today & they quoted me £810.56p! plus fitting :( Are there any other options for the front downpipes with CAT? Can the CAT be left off & the car still pass the M.O.T.?

Thanks

Originally posted by Glideman
The front exhaust pipe has gone on my E220TE :( Went to the dealer today & they quoted me £810.56p! plus fitting :( Are there any other options for the front downpipes with CAT? Can the CAT be left off & the car still pass the M.O.T.?
Have you tried any of the independent places? Sometimes you can get some good prices on not only used parts but in some cases brand new too. Factor something like 5 hours to swap the front end of the exhaust because if your car is anything like mine they have to remove half the engine bay to get to it :rolleyes: . My manifold swap was about £500 I think, half of that was labour, stealership prices.

I think I need to go lie down for a bit . . . .:rolleyes:

German and Swedish list the CAT for a 220 @ £299.50 inc VAT, downpipes aren't listed but I am surprised that you need them so soon. Even so, I dont think you should have to pay more than £100 for 'em. (My 230 is listed at £45 for the downpipes)

I dont think the manifold is much of a problem to remove on a 4 cyl W124 so perhaps it wont cost as much as you fear if you shop around.

Originally posted by Sp!ke

I dont think the manifold is much of a problem to remove on a 4 cyl W124 so perhaps it wont cost as much as you fear if you shop around.

That depends on if the studs stay in one piece, otherwise its a head off job. The studs on the number 4 pot (three of them) have a tendancy to shear off flush with the mating face. I have done two manifold changes and on one I had to lift the head due to a sheared stud. Very time consuming. (Hint, when replacing the exhaust to manifold, fasten up the rear pipe first. You will find that the front pipe falls into place. Do it the other way round and as my son can vouch, it took us 6 hours)

here's a little "trick" for getting those head bolts out without them shearing.......

spray them with easing oil then warm the engine up to operating temp, switch off and spray the bolts with "component cooler" or freezer spray - available from maplins and these sprays will drop the temp of the bolts to - 40C forcing them to contract :) then see if they loosen easily - if not - then try it again a couple of times spraying with oil each time sooner or later even the most stubborn ones undo :)

Once you've had a play with this stuff you'll find hundreds of uses for it :)

Andy

Thanks Andy, you learn something every day, have a bunch M8
:bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

Try Tyldesley Tyres and Exhaust tel 01942 875788. I always use them and so do all my family. They are always quite a bit cheaper than everyone else and they do a good job.

They are also very fair in what they say needs doing. Not like some other rip off tyre and exhaust places.

If you go for them insist Martin does it for you. He is the main man there.

If you do go give me the nod and you can bring your Harley round to show me. I only live 1/2 mile from the garage!

PS I've spoke to you before on the bikers forum about buying a HD or Kawasaki. Still havn't got one. Under a lot of pressure from missus and daughter not to. But I will......eventually

Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom