£86,000

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Drink-driving penalties - GOV.UK
I imagine he got off lightly because no one was injured. The real question is whether a period of imprisonment would be an effective deterrent to any repetition of the offence in the future . Since the incident took place due to alcohol dependence I would guess the court decided the best way to avoid any repetition would be treatment for his addiction rather than a custodial sentence?

why so many Police were required outside the Courthouse just because he was being Prosecuted! :wallbash::wallbash:o_O

PS: My Son is a Policeman and I will be asking him the same question!

Crowd control, he's a very public figure.

Does it bother you this much whenever any group of police stand in one place? Should they be evenly spaced at all times?

It's a bit of a stupid question. Those who stab and shoot in London deliberately do it when there aren't any police wandering around. A highly televised celebrity can draw a big crowd and to stop it turning into an angry mob, a large police presence is necessary.

A lifetime ban wouldn't be long enough for him and his partner in crime. Talent-less charlatans earning millions under false prentences!
Yet many millions of the population find them entertaining, they are not selected to this stuff by some kind of TV production accident.
Who would you have presenting Saturday night TV instead of them?

A lifetime ban wouldn't be long enough for him and his partner in crime. Talent-less charlatans earning millions under false prentences!

Nobody else can present the very biggest entertainment shows on TV. Or maybe you can?

The amount they earn is as irrelevant as the amount footballers earn. Are they worth it? Of course not, they get paid that because they can, because that's what's willing to be paid.

We saw last weekend, that they're greater than the sum of their parts, as Dec alone presenting SNT really struggled, yet if you swapped him out for anyone else, Dermot O'leary, or Stephen Mulhern, it'd have been very dull to watch.

Que being told it's very dull to watch anyway because you're of a higher order of intelligence.

Yet many millions of the population find them entertaining, they are not selected to this stuff by some kind of TV production accident.
Who would you have presenting Saturday night TV instead of them?
I enjoy them.

ffs. Dare anybody venture a personal opinion on this place. Least of all about TV.
Yes, opinions may be expressed...from both pov.

Why is it that opinions can be expressed but never opposed?

Is that not a contradiction in terms?

You can only debate opinion. You can’t debate facts.

Why is it that opinions can be expressed but never opposed?

Is that not a contradiction in terms?

You can only debate opinion. You can’t debate facts.

It's not the act, it's the manner of the act.

This place thrives on debate. Relies on debate. But threads get closed when the debate becomes disrespectful. Whilst acknowledging this is all subjective, and occasionally entertaining when the same old crew lay into each other, I much prefer be persuaded as to the merits of an argument.

Nobody else can present the very biggest entertainment shows on TV. Or maybe you can?

In years gone by such shows were presented by people who became famous due to some talent of their own : Bruce Forsyth , Cilla Black , Tom Jones ....

Whether or not you were a fan of such people is a side issue , but at least they had some sort of abilities .

Alas , there now seem to be many who are famous ..... for being famous .

Drink-driving penalties - GOV.UK
I imagine he got off lightly because no one was injured. The real question is whether a period of imprisonment would be an effective deterrent to any repetition of the offence in the future . Since the incident took place due to alcohol dependence I would guess the court decided the best way to avoid any repetition would be treatment for his addiction rather than a custodial sentence?

There could also be an argument that those who are in the public eye should not 'get off lightly' since it might serve as a deterrent to others who might take more notice of it than when it is someone unknown to the public .

There could also be an argument that those who are in the public eye should not 'get off lightly' since it might serve as a deterrent to others who might take more notice of it than when it is someone unknown to the public .

I prefer the older argument that we are all equal under the law. Did he 'get off lightly', then? I wouldn't have said so; the sentence seems about right to me.

In years gone by such shows were presented by people who became famous due to some talent of their own : Bruce Forsyth , Cilla Black , Tom Jones ....

Whether or not you were a fan of such people is a side issue , but at least they had some sort of abilities .

Alas , there now seem to be many who are famous ..... for being famous .

To be fair, like them or loath them Ant & Dec have not just been made famous for the sake of it.

Started out acting on Children’s TV, had a brief spell at Music then moved onto presenting. (I guess you know this already).

I wonder if those that aren’t keen on the likes of Ant & Dec only do so because of the sums of money they earn?

His sentence should be neither too lenient nor excessively harsh because of his fame. Because any such trial is bound to undergo intense public scrutiny I imagine it would adhere strictly to the recommended sentencing guidelines?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Still seems like a fair cop to me: substantial bad publicity, significant ban (20 months which he will reduce to 15 months), loss of several million in personal earnings.

For causing a collision after having drunk as much as quite a number of people who drive to your local restaurant or pub on a Sunday lunchtime.

(For elimination of doubt: "Don't drive and drive - at all. I don't and neither should you. He could easily have killed or maimed someone")

Interesting class war thread this one.

Fascinating to think that he and Ant earn more than the BBC Top 100 staff rolled together.

He was fined according to the law and it is the law that counts not any speculation about his talent, earnings, personal circumstances.

I am not a fan, but then I am not a hater either. I just choose to watch other stuff that appeals more to me than their show.

My point in my earlier post, is that drinking & driving is still regarded by many in this country as an acceptable risk. Remorse is used when caught in the act and then packed away again when re-offending. Some seem to believe that by not being almost comatose, they are somehow not offending?

I have sat and watched the same people bundle the wife, grand kids, extended family etc into the GL (not pointing any fingers) and setting off for a 'nice English Sunday Pub Lunch' during which the driver will happily consume more than we see in this case, before piling the entire, willing family back into the GL and heading off home. Never once would they consider that they are committing a criminal offense, let alone that they are 'drink drivers' and probably habitual ones at that?

I have stood and watched as Colonel Bogey states very proudly "I better not I have had two pints" (struggling to count is a trait, two usually means three or four) then they have an epiphany. "okay then, just a large Scotch then I really must be off, before dinner is in the dog - ho, ho , ho". It seems that this is not real proper drinking & driving, not like what real men do. But then they get caught (you have to be really unlucky these days or crash into something) to get caught.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom