£8k for a back box

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ray1888

Car
CLA 45 AMG
Driving down motorway yesterday and a back exhaust box gets thrown into my lane saw it just before I went over it power steering warning came on immediately I pulled over saw nothing I knew there was a Mercedes dealership about a mile away got them to have a look?
Steering rack bent
Steering rack ecu damaged
Power steering pipes damaged
Rear crossmember damaged
Rear skirt damaged
It's a 14 plate e350 coupe
Approx damage with labour £8k
First ever insurance claim in 35 years of driving
Had Mercedes on fone this morning some parts coming from Mercedes so 5 days till they get them and insurance want fotos if everything
On our way to a holiday cottage when it happened so Merc sorted a car for me
Girl who dealt with me was fab so a shout out for Laura at Perth Mercedes
A lot of bother for a bloody back box

Bad luck!
Seems MB Perth are treating you well. I found their parts dept spot on too.

Sorry to hear, hope the car gets sorted soon without too much hassle.

I'd be looking for the owner of the backbox, to return the backbox with the 8K bill incurred.

Bad luck!
Seems MB Perth are treating you well. I found their parts dept spot on too.

Some decent guys in parts. :thumb: One chap had a Datsun 240/260 Z Had quite a few interesting discussions over the quality of Datsun wiring looms with him irrc.

Some decent guys in parts. :thumb: One chap had a Datsun 240/260 Z Had quite a few interesting discussions over the quality of Datsun wiring looms with him irrc.

I ordered the wrong part online at MB Perth and hopefully asked if they would cancel the order and refund my debit card.
The money was back in my account the following day. Excellent customer service.

Mercedes in Perth have been great
Got a Kadjar from hire company to get me to holiday home
Got to drop it Friday and pick up a Mercedes until mine is sorted

Last edited:
Damn!! Glad it's getting sorted out, but wow, makes you wish you had a dashcam so you could try and get the number plate etc.

Glad your mobile for your holiday!

To be fair the car ,van, truck may just have thrown an existing bit of road debris into the OP's path. Possibly not their fault/silencer ??

Too late now but I recall that if you called Mobilo from the roadside they recover your car to a dealer and supply a decent hire car from the outset.

I remember once walking into MB Perth ( Dicksons as they then were ) after puncturing both nearside tyres on the A9 just outside Perth .

I fitted my spare , and managed to find a phone box to get my sister to see if she could bring a neighbour's spare wheel from his Mercedes .

Only problem was my car had only alloy wheels and the spare she brought was a steelie, so my bolts wouldn't fit . I sent my sister home and spent the next few hours in the lay by where I was stopped , then about opening time walked down to see if I could buy five wheel bolts . Not only did the partsman give me them for nothing ( they had a bin full from people who had upgraded to alloys ) but he insisted on giving me a lift back to my car .

Much as I tried to give him a token of thanks , all offers of payment were refused .

Should have said , I was one of several to have punctures that night due to someone tipping a load of nails down the side of the road .

Least your well and safe chap least it went under the car , glad you got a good dealer at the end of it :)

Never knew about that till I got to dealers,they deal with europcar so they fined and said a Mercedes replacement could take 4 hours to get to me so took the kadjer and will pop into Mercedes on way home from holiday and pick up a Merc on Friday
Service desk at Perth Mercedes have been brilliant so far

That's bad luck, glad you are getting it sorted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom