‘Gruff’ sounding engine note from cold.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gzzsbj

Car
C250 sport estate
2011 C250 CDI ,90,000 miles. New to me. From cold, engine note is very gruff sounding. Is quiet on idle but on acceleration, almost sounds like a V8 ( I wish)! Gets progressively quieter as it warms up, until when fully warm sounds normal. Any ideas, anyone? 1 / /.

You changed Engine air filter recently ? Could be the box casing loose maybe not clipped in fully etc. I had a van yrs ago that did this and that is what it was 😷🤞

They are not the smoothest of engines, And I find the plastics seem to rattle an awful lot.
Do you get any timing chain rattle at cold start? Mine did and it seemed much quieter after it was replaced. or maybe tats just placebo affect?

I have heard engine mounts can go, but no idea how you check these?
I have also heard the gearbox mount can perish causing the gearbox to drop slightly and make things sounds a bit gruff..

Let us know if you find anything.

thanks to everyone for your suggestion. There is no rattling on start up, in fact there are no untoward noises. This noise only appears on putting the engine under load. Lift off, it stops, accelerate and its back, but will fade away as the engine warms. I have found the top engine cover is loose, and that can’t be helping. When I get a chance, I’ll get it secured.
They are not the smoothest of engines, And I find the plastics seem to rattle an awful lot.
Do you get any timing chain rattle at cold start? Mine did and it seemed much quieter after it was replaced. or maybe tats just placebo affect?

I have heard engine mounts can go, but no idea how you check these?
I have also heard the gearbox mount can perish causing the gearbox to drop slightly and make things sounds a bit gruff..

Let us know if you find anything.

I have the same, thought piston related at first, but no oil consumption or any other symptoms. My cars only done 50,000. So not worried now.

thanks to everyone for your suggestion. There is no rattling on start up, in fact there are no untoward noises. This noise only appears on putting the engine under load. Lift off, it stops, accelerate and its back, but will fade away as the engine warms. I have found the top engine cover is loose, and that can’t be helping. When I get a chance, I’ll get it secured.
I've changed last week engine cover gommets and all the rattling is gone. I believe our two engines are the same so here is the link to MbNewcastle Link for Gommets

You may have a problem with a sticking EGR valve- they tend to soot up.
I've changed last week engine cover gommets and all the rattling is gone. I believe our two engines are the same so here is the link to MbNewcastle Link for Gommets
Thanks none of the above. This noise is specifically to the 250 petrol, it’s like an engine/exhaust manifold noise.

2011 C250 CDI ,90,000 miles. New to me. From cold, engine note is very gruff sounding. Is quiet on idle but on acceleration, almost sounds like a V8 ( I wish)! Gets progressively quieter as it warms up, until when fully warm sounds normal. Any ideas, anyone? 1 / /.
I WAS REPLYING TO THE ORIGINAL THREAD POSTER

I WAS ALSO REPLYING TO THE ORIGINAL THREAD POSTER WITH 250CDI ENGINE

Brief update: walked down the paper shop this morning and heard a double decker bus pull away from the bus stop with a loud roaring noise from the diesel. That’s the noise I’m hearing, but obviously not quite so loud!

What does your exhaust look like ?

20201114_083359.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom