‘Tumble Dryer’ water = deionised?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model X & Mercedes W212 /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
Is water from my condensing tumble dryer effectively deionised/distilled etc... so safe to use to top up coolant?

cheers!

Distilled and de-ionised are not interchangeable terms

The water from your dryer is a condensate from the water removed from clothing and generally has fewer impurities in it compared to tap water but it will not be as pure as commercially distilled water which is cheap so I would always buy the commercial grade product.

De-ionised water is not recommended for use in most car cooling systems as it can promote corrosion

Deionised Water: What is it and How Can it be Used?

"Car Engines
This type of water is commonly used to top up lead-acid batteries and engine’s coolant system. Because the water is absent of ions, it is able to lengthen the lifespan of the battery and coolant system. Whereas if normal water was used, it would shorten the lifespan of the battery and make the coolant system rusty."

Water for Coolant | Technical matters | Back Room Forum | Honest John

"We all know that deionised water is best for use in the coolant mixture of our engines."

Deionised Water: What is it and How Can it be Used?

Water for Coolant | Technical matters | Back Room Forum | Honest John

"We all know that deionised water is best for use in the coolant mixture of our engines."

Clearly "We" do not all know............

As ever it is not a lack and white answer, the coolant you add to the water is designed to have a number of properties and one of those is to help prevent corrosion between dissimilar metals by means of the chemistry in the coolant solution design.

Is the coolant system open to atmosphere so that the deionised water can absorb CO2?

What does the coolant additive add to the system chemistry?

Is the coolant system open to atmosphere so that the deionised water can absorb CO2?

What does the coolant additive add to the system chemistry?

Did I say the system was open to atmosphere? It was an accurate statement regarding a property of de-ionised water

As for the second question, what additive?

The coolant (commonly and incorrectly referred to as "Anti-freeze, just one of the properties) is the product that mixed with water becomes the working coolant liquid that has properties of corrosion resistance and helps maintain performance at low as well as high temperatures.

Bottle it for the wife to use in her steam iron - been doing that for many years now, has not only saved me loads of hassle cleaning her iron monthly for her, has also enhanced the life of the iron - she used to go through one every 3-4 years despite me cleaning it every month, now her iron is 6+ years old and still going strong!

You can apparently use dehumidifier water, but mine never looks that clean...

If you need to top up your coolant system between services, you may have a leak :D :D

Bottle it for the wife to use in her steam iron - been doing that for many years now, has not only saved me loads of hassle cleaning her iron monthly for her, has also enhanced the life of the iron - she used to go through one every 3-4 years despite me cleaning it every month, now her iron is 6+ years old and still going strong!

Yeah similar... we used to get through steam generator irons like they were going out of fashion previously.

We already use a Brita for drinking water so I started filling up a large bottle with water from it and we use that to fill it up.

7 years on and we only just scrapped the iron because it stopped emitting steam finally!

Did I say the system was open to atmosphere? It was an accurate statement regarding a property of de-ionised water

As for the second question, what additive?

The coolant (commonly and incorrectly referred to as "Anti-freeze, just one of the properties) is the product that mixed with water becomes the working coolant liquid that has properties of corrosion resistance and helps maintain performance at low as well as high temperatures.
Why so ****y?

I can not recall Whitenemesis ever being confrontational.

Great idea. The iron in our London home is a nightmare to clean out due to the scales from the extremely hard London water. Using a Brita filter only helps a little.

Based on your tip, I will now filter the water from the condensing tumble dryer for the steam iron. Thank you and Merry Christmas.

Can you drink it ? Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom