“Parking for 15 minutes on double yellow lines may be allowed”

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dash1

Car
2013-Audi A8L (W12) Exclusive (D4) 1998 H-D FLHTCUi and FLSTS 95th Anniversary Models.
Here’s another interesting article on the BBC News Politics website today which is being proposed by the Government. Parking for 15 minutes on double yellow lines may be allowed”. Is this a good idea, or will it be like everything else, open to abuse. In the UK, we seem to have this acquired knack or particular skill of giving people an inch, and they then take a yard. What are your views and opinions?

Link: - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23488437

Regards,

Dash1

Proving the 15 minutes could be interesting. I can envisage lots of arguments over that one.

This will mean vehicles being parked on the roadside all day albeit that they are changed every fifteen minutes. It will lead to more congestion, slower journeys and accidents.
Making car parks free for the first 30 minutes would be a better option in my view.

Arent double yellows there because it is an unsafe place to park or causes an obstruction.

If it is safe to park for 15 minutes then surely the road markings are wrong and they should be a single yellow?

Last edited:
What about access for emergency vehicles with both side of the road full of parked cars ?

Is this a good idea, or will it be like everything else, open to abuse.
This will mean vehicles being parked on the roadside all day albeit that they are changed every fifteen minutes. It will lead to more congestion, slower journeys and accidents.
The "open to abuse" question is a valid one.

Originally, double yellow lines were introduced to ensure that roads (normally heavily used ones) didn't get obstructed by parked vehicles. However, given an inch, all councils took a yard and took the opportunity to plaster DYL's pretty much everywhere so as to force people to pay for their parking. I'd hazard a guess that at least 75% of DYL's in most areas are a complete irrelevance when it comes to keeping the traffic free flowing.
Making car parks free for the first 30 minutes would be a better option in my view.
Far too sensible a suggestion. For that reason alone it will never be adopted :rolleyes:

Yep it will be totally abused ..just look at how many people just park where they want already and then whinge and whine when they get a ticket.

Making car parks free for 30 mins is an excellent idea, but one that would cost councils parking revenue hence it doesn't stand much of a chance...

This will slow the traffic down as you say, saves the councils applying for reduced speed limits.

Thanks very much for the input guys, very much appreciated. Pretty much what I actually thought, lots and lots of good points raised and many hurdles and issues to overcome. My local Hospital has an excellent approach to parking, on entry to the car park, take a ticket and for the first hour it’s absolutely free, thereafter, a standard £1.50 charge allows you to stay all day up to 24 hours. Excellent value for money in my opinion.

Regards,

Dash1

Making car parks free for 30 mins is an excellent idea, but one that would cost councils parking revenue hence it doesn't stand much of a chance...

In Tring it's free for the first hour, you still have to display a ticket from the machine, and it's well monitored, but it works.

. My local Hospital has an excellent approach to parking, on entry to the car park, take a ticket and for the first hour it’s absolutely free, thereafter, a standard £1.50 charge allows you to stay all day up to 24 hours. Excellent value for money in my opinion.
You win some and you lose some - our local hospital at Hemel charges £4 for the first 3 hours......

In Tring it's free for the first hour, you still have to display a ticket from the machine, and it's well monitored, but it works.
The same system works well in Monaco too :cool:

I suspect that were it is unsafe to stop at all, there will be a white zigzag line...

That, or they will come-up with a new triple-yellow-line marking :doh:

What about access for emergency vehicles with both side of the road full of parked cars ?

Trust me a Fire Appliance would have no problem getting through :D....the owners of said cars may not be too happy afterward though ...:eek:

Surely if it is safe to stop there for 15 minutes it should be parking bays free for 15 minutes. Makes no sense to me.

Thanks very much for the input guys, very much appreciated. Pretty much what I actually thought, lots and lots of good points raised and many hurdles and issues to overcome. My local Hospital has an excellent approach to parking, on entry to the car park, take a ticket and for the first hour it’s absolutely free, thereafter, a standard £1.50 charge allows you to stay all day up to 24 hours. Excellent value for money in my opinion.

Regards,

Dash1

Blimey. That is good!

Surely if it is safe to stop there for 15 minutes it should be parking bays free for 15 minutes. Makes no sense to me.
A lot can happen in 15 minutes, so if it's safe to park there for 15 minutes, why not all day?

A lot can happen in 15 minutes, so if it's safe to park there for 15 minutes, why not all day?

It's not about safety... it's about making it easier for people who just need to stop for a few minutes to go to the cash point or to buy a pint of milk, and currently have to drive around looking for 'proper' parking.

The 15 minutes rule ensures this will not be abused .

I was always under the impression that double yellows were to ensure the road wasn't blocked by parked cars thus ensuring free flowing traffic. Now either it is still needed for that function or else they aren't needed at all. We have 40 mins parking in designated areas in my local town, but sometimes 40 mins isn't quite long enough and 60 mins would be a far more useful period.

Single yellow and double yellow lines are exactly the same when in force, the only difference being that double yellow lines are in force at all times while single yellow lines are only in force part of the time.

The yellow lines (single or double) are not there for safety reasons, but simply to allow space for cars and vans to stop briefly in order to load/unload.

Where there are safety concerns the road will be marked by white zigzag line, not yellow (single or double) line ( or by additional kerb marking)

The issue with the current legislation regarding yellow lines is that for private cars there needs to be constant loading/unloading activity (vans get 10 minutes unattended), which poses an issue if a driver is carrying a package into the premises and has to leave the vehicle unattended (though the Council will cancel the PCN upon submitting a signed delivery note showing the date and time of the delivery).

So the 15 minutes rule will simplify the use of yellow lines, not a bad idea.

EDIT: I have to say that the above applies to Westminster Parking - not sure what Councils do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom