03 W211 270 cdi and failed glycol test

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

league67

Car
E 270CDI aka Gunther
Lately my luck with cars is, well not very good.
Problem :
Developed judder between 10-30 mph.
Dealer did diagnostics, found coolant in atf fluid. According to them there is a leak inside radiator. Problem reported to dealer 1mnth out of warranty with 56k on the clock FMBSH. Dealer replace radiator and some other 'stuff' for which I've agreed to pay part (circ £500 (MB would pay rest)). Problem is that didn't solve the problem. Needs new gearbox as well apparently at cost to me of £2700 (apparently MBUK would pay 50% for parts on top of 2.7k).
Questions :
How common are these failures. I remember John (glojo) posting something from dealer bulletin. Does that ammounts to recall or ?
I'm going to have conversation with MBUK in the morning. So I need as much 'experiences' with this as possible.

Regards Voya

Last edited:
Sorry to hear there's a problem - I hope MBUK come good.

Lots of similar problems in the US on the C32 - take a look at the C32 area of MBWorld.org for more information - well documented, and seems to be linked to a specifc type of radiator used on earlier cars - manufactured by Valeo IIRC.

league67 said:
How common are these failures. I remember John (glojo) posting something from dealer bulletin. Does that ammounts to recall or ?
I'm going to have conversation with MBUK in the morning. So I need as much 'experiences' with this as possible.

Regards Voya

It isn't a recall but is a service advisory and as such the car should have been checked for it.
It sounds as though the radiator failed within the warranty but the problem wasn't detectable until outside the period. This is a known fault so I'm not sure where MB would stand if it went to court.

Dieselman,

that confirms what dealer said that reason for changing gearbox is that 'its been going on for a while'.
Don't think that I'll accept MB's offer on 50% of parts only.

Thanks for replies.

league67 said:
Lately my luck with cars is, well not very good.
Problem :
Developed judder between 10-30 mph.
Dealer did diagnostics, found coolant in atf fluid. According to them there is a leak inside radiator. Problem reported to dealer 1mnth out of warranty with 56k on the clock FMBSH. Dealer replace radiator and some other 'stuff' for which I've agreed to pay part (circ £500 (MB would pay rest)). Problem is that didn't solve the problem. Needs new gearbox as well apparently at cost to me of £2700 (apparently MBUK would pay 50% for parts).
Questions :

Regards Voya

I remember seeing a TSB which was issued by MB on one of the MB forum boards about this problem which concerned faulty Valeo radiators manufactered up to a certain year (2003 i think)........if you do a bit of research you should find it.

MB in MK (customer care) never heard of a problem (yea right).... updates to follow...

As can be seen by my link.

It is a WELL KNOWN, WELL DOCUMENTED problem.

I can understand sales staff might not be aware, but I would be concerned if senior management within your local service department tried this excuse.

Regards,
John

None of that should come as no surprise to anyone in MB and suggest you should push back really hard. Formal complaints in writing etc.

Known manufacturing defect, known problem and with a known fix yet trying to disavow? That really goes a long way towards help Dieter Zetsche rebuild brand confidence. Perhaps he should be told.

IIRC the outcomes varied with the degree of glycol contamination. Ranged from "do nothing" in minor cases (which I do not really understand as it could get worse over time?) through replacing radiator, torque converter and flushing out transmission/lines through to same but with a new transmission as well.

You simply do not get to that level of formal problem resolution unless it is a "big" issue.

Marcos thanks,

I've read that thread as it was written. I'm very glad that your's got sorted. Makes me even more determined not to pay almost £3K for something thats obviously manufacturing defect.

Regards Voya

John,

Your original post with the star bulletin has been most helpful. Do you have a copy of the whole star bulletin or that page was it ?

I really hope MB is going to do the right thing. I'm first to say when dealer does the right thing. Unfortunatelly on this ocassion they/MB didn't live up to expectations yet.

At any rate before drawing any final conclusions, I'll wait for them to do the thinking and come back to me

|Regards Voya

league67 said:
John,

Your original post with the star bulletin has been most helpful. Do you have a copy of the whole star bulletin or that page was it ?
Hi Voya,
The page I posted is the opening page that contains the relevant reference numbers.

It is easier to obtain information on US sites, so this post is from MBUSA, the faults though apply Worldwide. There are another four pages, which contain instructional pictures for technicians, chemical tests for the ATF and hours that Mercedes-Benz will pay for the repair.

Your dealership can easily locate the service bulletin from the page I posted, but I am amazed if the techical department are really saying it is NOT a problem!!

Regards,
John

glojo said:
Your dealership can easily locate the service bulletin from the page I posted, but I am amazed if the techical department are really saying it is NOT a problem!!

I don't think they are, it's DC Uk that are saying there is no problem so cough up Mr customer.

Dieselman said:
I don't think they are, it's DC Uk that are saying there is no problem so cough up Mr customer.
Hi Dieselman,
If that is the case then it is even more amazing.

League67 has said Mercedes-Benz at Milton Keynes but I may have misunderstood who he was referring to? I simply thought it was a dealershipas opposed to MB-UK

Regards,
John

To clarify...

Mercedes Benz UK (MK) - no, there are no recalls relating to your problem. We are not aware of any problems. Refused to even look at the SB number given (from your post John) as 'service bulletins are for dealerships service teams only not for public release'.

Dealer (MB London Hampstead) - 'The leakage is inside radiator. The reason for gearbox change is that its been leaking for a while. Otherwise changing radiator , and flushing everything would solve this particular problem.'

Am slowly but surely getting fed up with calling both MB CC and Dealer. Just want my car fixed and back. But will see...

Regards Voya

league67 said:
To clarify...

Mercedes Benz UK (MK) - no, there are no recalls relating to your problem. We are not aware of any problems. Refused to even look at the SB number given (from your post John) as 'service bulletins are for dealerships service teams only not for public release'.
Hi Voya,
As usual Dieselman is spot on :eek: I can understand Mercedes-Benz UK stating htere are NO recalls concerning this problem, but I totally disagree with the other statement. Am I correct in thinking you have merely telephoned Mercedes-Benz UK? If so then may I very politely recommend you get things in writing. I wonder where you stand under hte Freedom of Information Act if you were to write and ask if there are any documented cases of owners reporting these problems and getting them repaired under warranty? We all know of at least one person on this forum! You MUST however get things in writing, otherwise it is sadly just gossip!

I will willingly pm or post you the complete service Bulletin which I believe shows pictures of the suspect part (If I can find it :eek::eek::eek::eek:)!

Regards,
John

glojo said:
I wonder where you stand under hte Freedom of Information Act
That only applies to public sector organisations.

Couple of options are:
1) Keep trying to persuade the dealer that MB should pay up.
2) Get in touch with someone like What Cars helpline. (may take a while to get it sorted).
3) Get the repair done and sue whoever you bought the car off, on the basis that it should have lasted longer. (you'll have to pay upfront and no guarantee you'd win).

league67 said:
To clarify...

We are not aware of any problems. Refused to even look at the SB number given (from your post John) as 'service bulletins are for dealerships service teams only not for public release'.

Does that meant the Service Bulletin do not exist? Of course not.

And if one exists there is a recognised and known issue. The fact the person you spoke was "not aware" of this may or may not be true but it does not matter. You were not dealing with a decision maker, just someone paid to pick up the phone and spout.

They have already offered 50% parts only so there is an admission of liabilty. Rest is just negotiation. Put your position in writing, consider what legal recourse you might have, what other pressures can be applied and above all try to conduct the negotiation with intelligent forms of life, not some erk who has no discretion in the matter.

is there not a case for the failed items not being fit for purpose under the sale of goods act?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom