'04 E class Tyre Pressure Monitoring System

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E55BOF

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLS63 SB, SLK55, CLK350 'Vert, Triumph Sprint (Bike not Dolly...),
My '04 E55 estate is fitted with TPMS. It doesn't work, partly because there is only a sensor/transmitter on one wheel; the other three wheels have ordinary rubber valves fitted. HOWEVER...

There are two possible types of system which could be fitted to the car, and even Terry at Wayne Gates is not sure which system it would have. Just to complicate things, in the glove compartment I found both a BERU RDV001 valve (without the small screw in the base, but otherwise apparently brand new and complete), and an in-wheel sensor/radio transmitter unit (part no. 0008223306), without a valve, for the alternative system. The one wheel which does not have a rubber valve has what looks like an RDV001-type valve fitted, but it could be from the other system as well.

I'd like to make the system operational again, but I don't know what parts to buy. Can anybody tell from my VIN (WDB2112762A673489 X) which system I have, or alternatively, is there anything on the car which will enable me to tell?

My '04 E55 estate is fitted with TPMS. It doesn't work, partly because there is only a sensor/transmitter on one wheel; the other three wheels have ordinary rubber valves fitted. HOWEVER...

There are two possible types of system which could be fitted to the car, and even Terry at Wayne Gates is not sure which system it would have. Just to complicate things, in the glove compartment I found both a BERU RDV001 valve (without the small screw in the base, but otherwise apparently brand new and complete), and an in-wheel sensor/radio transmitter unit (part no. 0008223306), without a valve, for the alternative system. The one wheel which does not have a rubber valve has what looks like an RDV001-type valve fitted, but it could be from the other system as well.

I'd like to make the system operational again, but I don't know what parts to buy. Can anybody tell from my VIN (WDB2112762A673489 X) which system I have, or alternatively, is there anything on the car which will enable me to tell?

Think my 56 plate works on wheel speed sensors but not sure as it ivestigated yet! Know it doesn't have the valves.

My 05 plate CLS500 works off wheel speed sensors.

If you have the electronic ones , there should be an option in the cluster to actually read the individual pressures of each tyre. You should be able to look at this ( even if nothing is displayed because the correct valves aren't present )

Check your handbook for how to access it.

Wheel speed sensors? Are you sure? That's real cutting-edge stuff if so...

I have the earlier BERU system; the change-over on the E-class came in mid-2005, according to WIS. I haven't priced up a complete set of replacements, but I bet they won't be cheap.

The wheel sensors system is in fact a 'freebie'.

Someone worked-out that from data collected by the ABS and ESP sensors it is possible to tell if a wheel is spinning slower, hence it is likely to be low on air.

The main reason for this feature is that with runflat tyres a system for notifying the driver of tyre pressure loss is mandatory (or the driver might continue and drive at speed with a 'flat' runflat tyre).

There is no additional hardware involved, just an additional software routine and menu display options.

In the early days it only came enabled if the customer specified runflats but not 'proper' TPMS. Otherwise, it was disabled from the factory and dealers use to charge £50 for connecting the car to STAR and enabling this feature.

I believe it is now enabled as standard on all cars not equipped with 'proper' TPMS.

Obviously the ABS/EPS TPMS can't really tell what the tyre pressure is, all it can do is sound an alarm if one wheel seems to constantly rotate at different speed to others.

So if all your tyres are equally under or over inflated the system will be happy and won't actually alert you to anything.

I have this enabled on my car, and while it does work as flat tyre detector, in all cases it notified me of a flat long after I already realised it anyway and was looking for a safe place to stop...

Last edited:
Can anybody tell from my VIN (WDB2112762A673489 X) which system I have, or alternatively, is there anything on the car which will enable me to tell?

A0008223306 Pressure Sensor
A0014014213 Tyre Valve
A2118204026 Control Unit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom