'04 S211 320CDI thermostat swap...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Telebass

Car
S204 C220CDI 2009
OK, maybe i should have got one from a dealer. However, I got a pattern part from ECP.:doh:

Owing to the excellent descriptions of other members of this forum, the nuts-and-bolts of the task was easy. Siphoned the header tank, so almost no spillage. Have a chain wrench, so the oil filter was easy.

(I did discover that the bolts on this engine are star-head. Never seen them before, so this entailed a very rapid trip to the local tool store to get the appropriate sockets!)

Noticed that the shape of the x casting on the new part did not have the angled corner which allows proper access to the top rear bolt. Irritating, but still do-able. Then the sender would not fit. Again, poor casting had left a hole that wasn't circular. A few minutes with a round needle file sorted this. All on, top up, start up. gasket fails immediately.
Strip it all back off. Re-use MB gasket, reassemble. All well. :thumb:

Engine now shows temps of greater than 60! Although I'ev yet to do enough miles to be certain, the MPG seems better already, and the car is much warmer inside, too!

Tomorrow: new discs and pads allround...

I would remove that thermo and put a MB one on.

Sounds like its just waiting to fail

I'll certainly be keeping an eye on things for a bit, but other than what I outlined, there should be no reason for further concern. i've contacted ECP with the story, and will record on this thread what (if anything) they say. But if I have any doubts about anything, an MB 'stat goes right on!

I would not be too precious (although this stat sounds crap). It's not like the MB ones last that well....

I got my thermostat for the 270 CDI from Carparts4less (i think its the same as ECP) its a Circoli (£27 inc delivery), and it fitted with no problems at all, just the temp sensor needed swapping from the old thermo body to the new thermo. I figured if MB thermostats are so prone to failure why replace it with the same junk? The difference in the way the car drives is very noticeable and so is having some cabin heat! You might get more mpg, but hell the cars so responsive now, I can't help but mash the loud pedal on straight bits of empty country lanes when its at optimal temp so the mpg in my car has gone down! :)

I did a 30-mile round trip today and the smoothness was very noticeable, and yes, I've had to turn the heater controls down several notches. MPG seemed good, but too soon to tell if improved or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom