'06 CLS 500 oil grade / dipstick location

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Phil1968

Car
W219 CLS 500, W447 Vito 114 CDI
Handbook's as clear as mud 😂 Which oil grade for an '06 CLS 500 with the M113 5.0 V8? I looked back through old service records that the previous owner kept & that gave no clear result, it's had 5w-30, 0w-40 & 5w-40. Also, is the red topped dipstick in the pic at the rear of the engine for the engine or the transmission? I followed it down but couldn't see where it went. On my previous Merc, a W211, there wasn't a dipstick as you checked it via the dash. I know the CLS has that feature too but wondered what the red topped dipstick was for as it only makes a vague reference to it in the handbook & shows the oil dipstick in a 350 engine bay, which is in the same place.

Attachments

• thumbnail (30).jpeg
    thumbnail (30).jpeg
    75.1 KB · Views: 15
  • thumbnail (29).jpeg
    thumbnail (29).jpeg
    101 KB · Views: 16
5w30 or 40 is what I would use, though you can use all the oils in the first 2 columns no worries. I just find 0w a bit thin on older cars personally.

That's handy, I have some fully-synthetic 5w-30 left over from my previous car :)

Just check the spec though, it's not just 5w30, there are now different classes within classes, it's a bit bonkers these days.

Dont skimp on oil. It's lifeblood. I always use Mobil1 5w40 in my CLS55. No dipstick in mine.

I don't want to open a can of worms here but I ran a superbike on Halfords motorcycle oil for 80,000 miles. A top end strip down revealed no wear. As long as an oil meets the specifications required by the engine manufacturer & is changed at the specified intervals it's fine.

Specifications and approval are different.
Use approved oil that meets either 229.3 or 229.5 spec. 229.5 is the better oil but there is nothing wrong with 229.3. Genuine MB oil is often on eBay at a very good price.

Handbook's as clear as mud 😂 Which oil grade for an '06 CLS 500 with the M113 5.0 V8? I looked back through old service records that the previous owner kept & that gave no clear result, it's had 5w-30, 0w-40 & 5w-40. Also, is the red topped dipstick in the pic at the rear of the engine for the engine or the transmission? I followed it down but couldn't see where it went. On my previous Merc, a W211, there wasn't a dipstick as you checked it via the dash. I know the CLS has that feature too but wondered what the red topped dipstick was for as it only makes a vague reference to it in the handbook & shows the oil dipstick in a 350 engine bay, which is in the same place.

In my previous W211 E55, the red cap was the engine oil dip stick tube. There was no dip stick within the tube. I bought one to check the oil level and condition manually. The red cap was just a plug for the tubing.

Service technicians also use this for service intervals. Checking levels and so on. With the workshop dipstick.

I bought one for about 12.99 I think something like that.

In my previous W211 E55, the red cap was the engine oil dip stick tube. There was no dip stick within the tube. I bought one to check the oil level and condition manually. The red cap was just a plug for the tubing.

Service technicians also use this for service intervals. Checking levels and so on. With the workshop dipstick.

I bought one for about 12.99 I think something like that.
Where did you buy it from, a Mercedes dealer?

Where did you buy it from, a Mercedes dealer?

I bought it online Phil, I'll try and upload the link. I'm unsure if they are multi vehicle useable. The stick itself has a measuring gauge on there so you just look up the level, tolerances for your vehicle.

I got mine from Amazon. They supply a level chart now also for most MB vehicles which is good. But on Amazon it showed out of stock. But above it's what you need.

I kept mine in its sleeve it came in. In the boot. Once you get used to using it, it's a good gadget to have. Push it in until it bottoms out then I marked the upper end to where it is flush with the top of the oil tube neck. I then knew the stick was in its furthest point. Then you check for level on the gauge end.

Just remember to remove and put the red cap on after. It's near on impossible to do as the dip stick itself sits about 250mm proud of the tube.

0w40 o 5w40. If it's an M113 engine, it does not come with a dip stick. I use the dipstick from a 99 SL500 on my S55 and it works fine. Else you'll need to go through the menu system to measure oil.

Hi,
The tube at the back of you're engine with the red cap IS NOT engine oil but a dipstick tube for the gearbox oil.
M113 engine in a 219 CLS has no dipstick tube the only way to check the engine oil level is in the cluster.
The engine has a saddle sump and two sump plugs.

My C55 AMG M113 engine has a saddle sump and an engine oil dipstick tube along with the gearbox dipstick tube (no fixed dipsticks) From what I can ascertain (my word of the day !) MB chose different approaches to dipsticks and dipstick tubes during the evolution of the V8 M113 engine.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom