07 C320CDI vs 12 250CDI

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Colin_b

MB Enthusiast
Car
C250CDI (C320CDI & SLK350, Sold) & the Trusty Citigo
I collected my new C250CDI AMG Sport Plus this afternoon. There was an element of surprise in this, the dealer has been fairly consistent in being incompetent!

Anyway, they did their job in the end, and the car arrived, exactly as ordered and free of any problems.:thumb: No rattles...

Its white, with 18" standard wheels, auto, COMAND, Harman Kardon, DAB, heated seats and shiny wood trim.

So, how does it compare to my old C320 elegance?

Suspension is firmer, roadholding and handling more assured and direct. Given the lumpy roads, I'm pleased it isn't too firm - I'm happy not to have specced the 19" wheels, the standard 18" seems to work.

Given I'm running it in, I haven't applied full right foot. Performance seems to be adequate, it a little slow to spool up. Too early to tell how the V6 220bhp compares to I4 200bhp.

The enhanced audio is excellent, I can listed to my dubious music tastes without distortion.

DAB appears to be a bit of a waste, West Cumbria has limited coverage!

The HID headlamps are very good, though no better than the Vauxhall AFL system, which is similar. Auto dip main beam is useless, reluctant to go to main beam unless someone is in a position to be dazzled:dk:. I need to turn this feature off!

It seems fuel efficient, did 41mpg on my 45 mile trip, compared to 23 for my SLK, 32 for my old 320CDI and 40 in a 200CDI loan car.

So for, so good:)

8253607390_8f036ff904_m.jpg

Now I have the internet back (thanks BT:crazy:), a little follow up....

The brakes are excellent! SHMBO failed to spot the car in front had stopped, so full emergency stop from 40mph. ABS, EBS and lock up seatbelts work very well.:eek: Close but no dents.

550 miles on 3/4 of a tank of fuel, with the OBC reading 48mpg. Similar journeys in the 320 would get about 34mpg, with a refill at 450/460 miles.I'll be able to see how accurate the OBC is, when I fill up.

Next job, put the winter tyres on....

Apologies if I've missed it, but weren't you buying a C63, Colin?

Apologies if I've missed it, but weren't you buying a C63, Colin?

Yes:) Specced, ordered and deposit paid. Then the dealer moved from order taker to order obstructor and failed to deliver or talk to me. SWMBO abstracted a portion of the budget, and a C250 was the result.

A compromise I'm happy to live with.

DAB appears to be a bit of a waste, West Cumbria has limited coverage!

The HID headlamps are very good, though no better than the Vauxhall AFL system, which is similar. Auto dip main beam is useless, reluctant to go to main beam unless someone is in a position to be dazzled:dk:. I need to turn this feature off!

I've never had much luck with DAB, I'm Nottinghamshire based.

Re HID's, I think mine are excellent. There is a minimum speed at which they go high beam though, 40mph rings a bell.

I've never had much luck with DAB, I'm Nottinghamshire based.

Re HID's, I think mine are excellent. There is a minimum speed at which they go high beam though, 40mph rings a bell.

They dip when cars are coming from ahead, but not cyclists or cars coming at an angle, which I feel is dazzling. Given they are very bright, I'd not like to be on the receiving end. I'm happier with my brain operating them, rather than the cars...

DAB, unimpressed. Too much drop out even on the M6

I don't trust the automatic dip either.
DAB works fine for me though.

I did on my C350. Its a little pointless and I prefer to be in control. Go into the menu and you can put it back into manual mode.

DAB is one thing I wish I had spec'd. A few friends have it around the Peterborough/Cambridge area and say they rarely have a break up and rate it very highly. If nothing else you get some decent stations away from the awful Radio 1 :)

I think DAB is excellent, I live in Notts and never had a single loss of signal listening to Talk Sport. If I go very rural outside of Notts I sometimes lose some signal but never on the motorway networks etc.

Nice car by the way :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom