'08 E350 petrol - Too Cool Runnings (or watching the thermostat dying...)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E55BOF

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLS63 SB, SLK55, Cooper S, Triumph Sprint (Bike not Dolly...),
The new (to me) E350 runs at 80 degrees on the coolant temperature gauge, not 100 like the E55Ks. It seems to take longer to come up to temp than the E55Ks, too, but I had assumed that it was just that it read differently. Not so...

Sunday morning, trundling along at 50(ish) mph in the long stretch of roadworks on the M3 just before the M25, the coolant temperature was dropping...dropping...dropping, and when it reached 60 degrees or so, the EML came on. When I stopped to look under the bonnet, leaving the engine running, it came back up to 80 quite quickly. Once on the M25 and up to normal cruising speed, back to 80 degrees.

The new 'stat should arrive tomorrow, and it's going to be a doddle to fit; compared to the AMGs, there's just so much space under the bonnet in front of the engine. Woo Hoo!

I'll try the cheapo-cheapo Chinese OBDII reader I received two Christmases ago as a desperation present to see if I can read and clear the fault code, but if the mini disc instructions it came with is any indication, it may not be much use; the codes decode library does not recognise a single code. Wish me luck.

+1 is the thermostat. Good luck

Sent from my GT-I9505 using MBClub UK

'08 E350 petrol - Too Cool Runnings - SOLVED

The thermostat it was, very easy to change it was (but I'm glad I took a couple of pictures of the serpentine belt run!), and the cheapo-cheapo code reader did its job perfectly, AND there were no old codes - just the P0128 for engine temperature.

:bannana::bannana::bannana:

How did you sort out any air trap / bleeding issues, if any? Just for reference...

How did you sort out any air trap / bleeding issues, if any? Just for reference...

Mercedes vary rarely suffer from air locks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom