'08 R230 SL500 starting issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MD5

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
wme451 a124 r129 s211 r230
Hi all, I'd appreciate a bit of knowledge please, relating to potential known (ignition module?) faults.

My '08 M273 engined SL500 (40k miles) has hardly been used over the last 6 months, and I used it yesterday for the first time since the beginning of January. Whilst the battery isn't good at the moment, I think this may be a red herring to an underlying fault. I previously left the car for about 4 months without a battery conditioner thanks to lockdown, and whilst the convenience battery had gone flat, the starter battery was okay to start the car unaided after unlocking the car manually.

I suspect I have an issue with the spare key/ignition module, as when I tried yesterday the engine turned over slowly at first, but failed to fire up. After a few tries it turned over more quickly but when firing it sounded as if it was out of fuel. I connected my battery booster which sped up the turnover, but it still didn't start after firing. I then swapped keys and it started. The convenience warning signs went out quite quickly after setting off, five minutes or so, and after about a 30 mile round trip I switched the engine off on my return. I tried to restart with the spare key, and the engine would barely turn over, and didn't fire. I tried again with the usual key, and whilst sluggish, it started. This sluggish turnover has happened before under normal usage with the usual key, which is what makes me wonder whether the ignition module is possibly on the blink? It also sounded as if the starter motor is on the blink due to the slow turnover, so I suppose that's another possibility? Or could it all be down to battery condition? I'll give it another go today, but any thoughts please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom