0w40 229.5 oil - any deals out there?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cws196

Car
S205 C250d AMG Premium+
I want to switch the oil in my C43 from 5 to 0w and want enough for at least 2 changes ie 13L, and happy to go up to 20L. There’s not the bulk deals out there unlike 229.51 5w30, AFAIK unless anyone knows different? You can’t buy MB branded oil in this large quantity....

Searching again and just found 20L of Mobil 1 FS 0w40 at £135 delivered-best price so far.

I want to switch the oil in my C43 from 5 to 0w and want enough for at least 2 changes ie 13L, and happy to go up to 20L. There’s not the bulk deals out there unlike 229.51 5w30, AFAIK unless anyone knows different? You can’t buy MB branded oil in this large quantity....

Just curious why do you want to change engine oil grade?

0w is factory fill on AMG engines and the theory is that a lighter grade oil is better suited on a higher performing engine. Dealers are only filling with 5w as it’s cheaper easier to only stock 1 grade of oil for petrol engines...

The grade is 40 determined by it's viscosity @ 100°C .

The 0W will be thinner at cold temps than 5W so will have better cold flow and efficiency savings during warm up.

It's a big ask though as being thin and reasonably thick at each end .

Some 0W40 can burn off alot leading to high consumption , such was the case decades ago when I had an oil light 2 months after a service .

I've seen some videos on YouTube showing this. 0w30 and 5w30 in those examples.

At 100 degrees, there's no discernable difference.

At 0 degrees, there is a very very slight difference.

At -30 degrees, there is a massive difference.

This was using a 30 at 100 degrees rated oil, but I think as long as you are very careful to keep low revs during the first couple of minutes, and don't open it up until fully warmed, the actually impact on wear I would guess will be practically zero and orders of magnitude better than using 0W oil and hitting it hard from cold (which some will do).
As a matter of course, when my engine is cold I always leave the car to idle for 20-30 seconds before setting off. AMG machine or not. (definitely not in my case I'm afraid).

I buy Mobil1 0w40 at Costco for my c32, very reasonable prices.

I agree that there is no benefit to using 0w-40 unless you live in a place where the winter temp is consistently below -10c.
Stick with the 5w-40 and you can afford to change it more frequently which is much more beneficial.

Mercedes dealers are not just using it as it costs less, it is also an acceptable spec for the car.

I buy Mobil1 0w40 at Costco for my c32, very reasonable prices.

What prices are Costco selling at?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom