1/2" Impact Wrench Recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bob6600

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
AUDI S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)
Have been looking for decent but not too expensive impact wrench. I do like the Snap On CTU-6850 but a bit rich for me new, just missed one on ebay but new seller with no feedback so probably a good thing.

Anyone have one for sale or recommend a decent cordless one?

That is a bit expensive, and am I right in thinking they're all ni-cad batteries? The ones I saw on eBay were...

I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole unless it was Li-ion.

Personally, I'd be buying these, as I like DeWalt.

This has two huge capacity li-ion batteries, and 203nm torque, and is more compact; https://www.onlinepowertools.co.uk/...n-compact-impact-wrench-kit-2-x-4ah-batteries

This is much longer, so less useful, but double the torque: https://www.onlinepowertools.co.uk/...n-high-torque-impact-wrench-kit-4ah-batteries

I have alot of DeWalt tools and they are worth the money in my book. May well get one of those....

I'd only recommend a Snap On one because they are built to be used every day and with a "boot" cover, they just stand up to the abuse - warranty is pretty good too.

The new mac tools 1/2 gun is the more powerful gun in the market and easier to use than snap on regarding weight and vibration and they cost around £370 also you can go for the 3/8 version is cheaper and it does 700ftp torque and I think they around £250 .
I have got both snap on and mac in 3/4,1/2 and 3/8 so my experience with them is a lot .:thumb:

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Have been looking for decent but not too expensive impact wrench. I do like the Snap On CTU-6850 but a bit rich for me new, just missed one on ebay but new seller with no feedback so probably a good thing.

Anyone have one for sale or recommend a decent cordless one?

Snap On ctu 7850 is the one to have, plus you can get the 3/8 version as a bare tool to go with it.

Ignore my post I thought you was after air tools.

C36fan said:
Ignore my post I thought you was after air tools. Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK
the new snap on 3/8 drive is quite powerful 18v battery I can get you one of those of my snap on dealer at the special price of £330 + vat. :thumb:

What is your use? The majority of the cordless impact wrench's affordable for personal use lack the power to break nuts, but work well for speed of use in taking nuts/bolts off and putting them back on. For this type of use, personally I'd recommend one of the compact design ones as you can use it more often.

The only one I've tried that was capable of breaking wheel nuts was a Milwaukee 24v, now replaced by 28v. These are again expensive and the same price as the snap on units.

I use a DeWalt 18v XR Li-on compact 1/2" mainly so that I can share multiple batteries with my cordless drill, angle grinder etc. This way I always three batteries available and one on charge.

If you use it often you need a minimum of 2 batteries and ideally 3.

cheers, Steve

It is for personal use/DIY. I would like one that would be able to at least undo a wheel bolt easily, especially one that has been over tightened by the monkeys at the local tyre garage. I want one with a fairly high torque and decent quality as I only want to purchase once. The Snap On ones are tempting but at the moment a bit out of reach at the moment (insurance on both cars due this month) but I will keep in mind. The DeWalts are also very tempting, but if there is a cheaper alternative that a member has bought, I may buy one of those

It is for personal use/DIY. I would like one that would be able to at least undo a wheel bolt easily, especially one that has been over tightened by the monkeys at the local tyre garage. I want one with a fairly high torque and decent quality as I only want to purchase once. The Snap On ones are tempting but at the moment a bit out of reach at the moment (insurance on both cars due this month) but I will keep in mind. The DeWalts are also very tempting, but if there is a cheaper alternative that a member has bought, I may buy one of those

Makita 450?

Makita Btw450z Impact wrench - YouTube

It is for personal use/DIY. I would like one that would be able to at least undo a wheel bolt easily, especially one that has been over tightened by the monkeys at the local tyre garage.

Unfortunately, all of the affordable ones will fail to do this, even a wheel bolt tightened to the right torque, not over done. The ~250nm units just don't have the power to do this. You need the ~400nm+ units to do this, but they are expensive.

If this is your main priority, probably the best bet is an air one. With a decent compressor you can use it in this way.

Personally, for wheel nuts I don't find it an issue. I use a breaker bar to crack the bolts, then off with cordless torque wrench, back on with cordless torque wrench and then tightened to correct torque with a manual torque wrench. Fortunately, I have enough sockets that I don't have to swap over.

cheers, Steve

If you have a garage I'd get a compressor and some air tools. That, my Karcher vac and Karcher jet wash are the most useful tools I've ever bought

Nick Froome

I've got an air one too, it's a very heavy lump (I've also used it as a lump hammer) and cost me £5 second hand years ago. I've always ran it at 120 psi which is 30 psi over it's max rated and there's not many bolts that have defeated it (rear axle hub nuts and flywheel centre nuts, but then, I've ended up stood bouncing on the end of a long breaker bar to loosen those).

Having said that, it's a huge pain to have the loud 3HP "V" compressor firing up all the time and then getting tangled in airline. So I'd much prefer an electric one too, for the easier stuff. I'd go for the dewalt though, it can provide 400+nm and will work with my existing batteries for my drill. :D

If you have a garage I'd get a compressor and some air tools. That, my Karcher vac and Karcher jet wash are the most useful tools I've ever bought

Nick Froome

Ideally if it was to permanently stay in the garage I would definitely go down this route as there are alot of tools that can be connected to an airline.

The reason for cordless is I may keep it in the car....recently had a flat tyre and was stranded for 1 1/2 hours as the bolts would not come off and I have a disability which prevented me from using full force with a breaker bar i had. It was very uncomfortable and an experience I would not want to go through again.

I did see one of these but not sure how good they are? I guess it would run out of air quickly if changing a wheel?

Costco UK - SIP 24 Litre Air Receiver - Model 06298

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom