1.8 190e Oil guage at 4

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrianA

My friend has just bought a 1992 190e 1.8 petrol with 137,000 mls onn the clock.
He says that the oil guage sits at 4 OIL the time,except when turned off.
Apparently it sits at 4 on idle,then goes up a bit when taking off then drops back down to 4.
Is this too high or normal?
Many thanks.
Bri.

If memory serves me right the gauge only goes up to 3.

Ian B Walker said:
If memory serves me right the gauge only goes up to 3.
You're dead right Ian we're at work and I've just gone to look,it seems ok it hovers round 2.5 then rises to 3 on the move then drops down to 2.5 in idle.
He's Welsh :crazy: what do you expect.
Cheers Bri

clean up the contact.

The oil gauge is electrical. the sender unit is a small metallic cylinder under the oil filter. You can get problems if the connection is poor. Pull of the connector and give the post a clean. See if that helps. Its normal for the gauge to drop a bit on idle when the oil is warm.

BrianA said:
You're dead right Ian we're at work and I've just gone to look,it seems ok it hovers round 2.5 then rises to 3 on the move then drops down to 2.5 in idle.
Cheers Bri

thats normal then!

BrianA said:
Cheers Bri

Yes , nothing wrong with that ... may drop even a bit lower on a very hot day at idle

Mine does it too ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom