1.8 Komp whistle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Monza Iain

Car
C Class Kompressor
Hi everyone, a wee question...

When i accelerate there is a faint whistling noise from the engine,its only noticeable with the window open and the radio off,so it is very faint, but its there....
Is this normal i.e the Kompressor working or is there a problem? no problem with power or anything just this faint noise

Or is it something else? just want to find out if there is any sot of problem before it gets worse

Thanks
Iain

A faint Kompressor whistle is indeed normal, although without actually hearing your car's noise it is obviously difficult to say if yours is the 'normal' faint whistle....

Check the pipework under the kompressor whistle could be a sign of air leakage. However as Markjay says the Kompressor does make a noise when running but I would not decribe it as a whilstle but more of a rasp

My son had a whistle noise on his Astra VXR, again wasnt very loud and not all the time. However to check for air tightness he made a wooden disc to fit inside the hose to the turbo, he fitted a tyre valve in the centre. He then pressurised the system to about 1 bar, and discovered he had a very small leak on a hose from the top of the intercooler to the inlet manifold. Seemed a lot of messing around but I dont think he would have found the leak otherwise. Well worth the effort.

Last edited:
Cheers guys... im not really convinced its a whistle but its about the only noise i can describe it as... more a slight hiss come whistle.. haha hard to describe really. very faint anyway so could just be the normal noise... shall keep an eye on it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom