1. I am a stupid boy.

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by Carrotchomper, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Carrotchomper

Carrotchomper Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Audi A8 4.2 Quattro
    2. I need a kitchen fitter in Bristol :D

I went up to the Swindon Outlet Centre for a bit of retail exploration today, and was relatively successful on the clothes front. However, I have also been looking for a "Bean to cup" coffee machine for some time and came across the following beauty in John Lewis' outlet...

[​IMG]

It was an absolute bargain, brand new and boxed and £150... Half their "RRP" and about a quarter of the cost of similar machines on sale now. I have been looking for ages and this is by far the best price/machine ratio I have seen (IE...Not as nice as a top-of the range Gaggia but not a grand either! :eek: )

It is brushed stainless steel and very well made (By AEG...)

The only slight sticking point is that it is utterly HUGE. Having got it home and played with various kitchen configurations it seems it's going to have to sit on the worktop for the time being. Pending major kitchen butchery in the near future...

Why do we do these things? :devil: :bannana: :eek:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  2. mw_C32

mw_C32 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

That is a great peice of kit, I absolutley love my bean to cup coffee machine. My mate has a Gaggia for about £800 and mine is a .....

http://www.siemensappliances.co.uk/?5=TK69009GB

I have about 6500 cups of use so far....yum!:D

If you like coffee you will love it. Good buy. Have they got anymore?

M.

3. neilrr

neilrr MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Various.
    Prefer a nice cup of char, myself.

4. A210AMG

A210AMG MB Club Veteran

Is that gadet not designed to be bult into a cupbaord as a built in microwave?

Could you not 'build' it into an unused one? in your kitchen.

Looks a nice unit and a good price.

5. OP
    OP
    Carrotchomper

Car:
    Audi A8 4.2 Quattro
    It is designed to be built into a cupboard. As it stands I do have a relatively small kitchen with many cupboards of varying sizes.. None of which will fit it... It does fit on the worktop at the mo!

However, all that needs to be done is a little creative carpentry, I've identified a gap and may well get a built-in microwave for the space above.

And I think they have about 5 left, they are discontinued stock.

Sadly, having mucked around for utterly ages getting it plugged in, set up, filled with beans and water... The ******* thing is DEAD :mad: :mad: :mad:

Luckily I am off work tomorrow, although a trip to Swindon is a major pain:)

6. BTB 500

BTB 500 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S203 C230
    That's a whopper!

Mrs BTB is quite a coffee drinker and we always have a machine. Just got a new Saeco one as an xmas present from the in-laws :)

7. kwakdonut

kwakdonut Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Frod Mundano TDCi, Kawasaki z650
    Yeh, it's crap here and one of the only saving graces is the Outlet Centre!!

8. OP
    OP
    Carrotchomper

Car:
    Audi A8 4.2 Quattro

Nice! Yes, this thing is excessively big for my kitchen really but will look great once properly installed in a cabinet. And £150 is cheap for a bean-to-cup one anyway. Just hope one of the other ones tomorrow works! :)

9. mw_C32

So there's five left and their in Swindon?

10. OP
    OP
    Carrotchomper

Car:
    Audi A8 4.2 Quattro
    Yep. Well, probably about 3 now accounting for my broken one and the one I've reserved for tomorrow.

For reference, this is most easily fitted in a tall cabinet, which I do not have :mad: Aside from that, you need a 60cm wide cabinet, 50cm depth, height required is 38-40cm...

11. crockers

crockers MB Club Veteran

Car:
    XC60 MY2014 SeLux Nav plus lot and lots of toys...
    I too have the Siemens a Surpresso S40 - brilliant - bought it from a new kitchen outlet in Cirencester for less than half price as it was their introductory offer on their opening....

SEcret for good froth is keep everything CLEAN and then CLEAN it again.....not had as many cups as MW_C32 on 2968 todate..

Now your fun is choosing the beans -- have played with many and keep coming back to Lavazza expresso - finding the Italians roast their coffee to my taste..

have fun

12. mw_C32

Can you tell me what model it is? Have you reserved it over the phone? I'll give them a call if so....;)

Ta.

M

13. OP
    OP
    Carrotchomper

Car:
    Audi A8 4.2 Quattro
    You've just missed them unfortunately. They close at 8. Give them a ring tomorrow on 01793 512454. But in the afternoon, once I've sorted mine ;)

Funny, I just spoke to my mum about it and she just didn't get it... That major kitchen butchery is no obstacle to owning a nice gadget :devil:

I'm sure it's going to be a pain somewhere along the line, but that's all part of the joy of proper man gadgets!

14. Geezer

Geezer Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2008 Facelift R171 SLK 350 Auto.
    I've lost count of the number of coffee machines I have been seduced into buying. :eek: I trouble with coffee is that it always smells better than it tastes!:crazy:

I actually like Carte Noire Arabica Exclusive granules! Tastes better than most bean coffee IMO! :rock:

15. OP
    OP
    Carrotchomper

Car:
    Audi A8 4.2 Quattro
    It was torture earlier... I had bought some very nice beans from Whittards. Coffee machine worked sufficiently to grind and heat them a little...and not a drop to drink :crazy:

16. Rose Chap

Rose Chap Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Lexus GS450h
    I did the same albeit on a (far) smaller scale during a trip to John Lewis. One of those Porsche Design filter coffee makers. It had to sit on my wife's lap on the way home due to us foolishly taking the Smart and caused her to break a nail. I don't think it's been forgiven yet.

[​IMG]

17. OP
    OP
    Carrotchomper

Car:
    Audi A8 4.2 Quattro
    Keen coffee machine purchasers need not travel to Swindon... Unfortunately there are now NO working machines at JL, since all of the one bar one in the shop didn't seem to work either. Luckily the final display model did work and I am now happy fettling said item :D

The fact that I now have

A microwave without a home

and

The necessity for major kitchen surgery

are mere trifles :crazy:

18. Howard

Howard MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLS 500 / A 150
    Bet the non working ones are something simple .

Offer to take them off their hands for £25 each. I'll have one.

19. OP
    OP
    Carrotchomper

Car:
    Audi A8 4.2 Quattro
    Ha! Unfrotunately they are very large and very, very heavy... My arms are near-useless today having lugged the one yesterday to the train station.

I think it's something up with the control panel, so probably fairly simple. At least mine works! :) Having researched on the Net, I think £150 is a huge bargain... The cheapest built-in ones I could find were at least £700 :crazy:

20. Spinal

Spinal Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Smart, S320 and C180 with 3-pointed stars amongst others
    Now you just need some Jamaican Blue Moutain ... ;)

Tags: