1 new order,two different stories. Who's correct?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peterr_ibg

Car
S 350 BlueTech L AMG Sport Edition ( sold), Audi A8 Black edition
Hi All – Newbie here who’s decided what he wants , but needs advice as to what to do next ( or who’s telling the truth) please

Looking to order a new W212 E350 CDI Avantgarde on a personal contract hire ( MB call it personal lease). My existing PCP contract expires 1st Aug, so I need a new vehicle mid July ( as needs to be collected, inspected etc).

I’ve now been confused by having two stories from different people –

On-line contract hire/leasing broker tells me that I have to order quickly ( pre Easter) to get a factory order built for end of June delivery. They state that if I want July delivery it will be in new quarter and price will go up by £25 per month ( and possibly lose some benefits such as free 3 services and free metallic)

MB dealership won’t give me a quote now and states, come back in June when we can give you firm price. They say that ordering in June will be fine for July delivery ( even though I’m very specific about colour , options etc )

My problem is, if I go with what broker tells me I will have to take delivery end of June and end up with two cars ( and two monthly payments for one month) , or face higher monthly charge that’ll take me over budget . If I go with what dealer tells me then I have to trust that they can get me car in right colour with right options at right price in less than 6 weeks.

Anyone any info as to which story sounds more plausible?

I reckon your broker is just trying to bump up his month/quarter sales... and maybe push you into signing a contract so you don't change your mind later on...

I would try to convince them to offer you a much better deal, and tell them that if you are to sign now you expect a sweetener...

If not, just wait ;)

M.

There have been quite a lot of comments / complaints from people that they can't get current (I mean any current quarter, not this specific one) quarter deals due to cars not able to be delivered in time - the point of the deals is really to shift cars that are already in MB UK inventory.

I can't conceive of how the dealer could factory order a car in June and get it in July and even in June I'm not sure they'd know what the next quarter deals would be. Is the dealer prepared to back up (in writing) their assertion that they can get a factory order car quickly by guaranteeing to you put you in a reasonable courtesy car is yours doesn't turn up in time?

Last edited:
Hi and welcome.

The campaign that's offering free metallic paint & complimentary Service Care states that it's only applicable to cars built up to the end of May, so unless your dealer is planning on putting exactly what you want in his stock so you can buy it in July I'd say the chances of getting that offer on a July purchase are slim.

If the spec you want is fixed and will require a factory order then I'd say a six week delivery from time of order is pushing it. For my recent E350 order, had I gone for UK delivery rather than Personal Collection, the estimated date for delivery to dealer was 6 weeks and 1 day after the Spec Freeze date. As you can see from that example, there was absolutely no leeway for getting a particular spec car delivered in 6 weeks and that presupposes that the dealer has a free build slot available when you place the order.

The three years free servicing is only for April/May production cars but I think the free metallic paint is for cars ordered up to the end of June. The MY2011.5 cars are being built from the beginning of June - as fas as I can tell the most significant difference in the E350CDi is the introduction of the new colour TFT display in the speedometer.

My dealer didn't say anything about prices going up.

The three years free servicing is only for April/May production cars but I think the free metallic paint is for cars ordered up to the end of June. The MY2011.5 cars are being built from the beginning of June - as fas as I can tell the most significant difference in the E350CDi is the introduction of the new colour TFT display in the speedometer.

My dealer didn't say anything about prices going up.

My dealer or broker didn't mention MY2011.5 at all , never mind prices changing!

Do you have any more info as to what else is changing with the new model?

Hi,
The E Class is receiving a minor face lift, MB are going to fit the colour display and eco stop start from June production.
If you were to order a car to your own spec today then delivery would be in mid June.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
My dealer or broker didn't mention MY2011.5 at all , never mind prices changing!

Do you have any more info as to what else is changing with the new model?

Apart from the display, he said the 'A' on the light switch would be replaced by the word 'Auto'. Hardly earth shattering. As Maynard said, some models will be getting the Eco Stop Start - but not the E350CDi.

Oh - and the 7 speed box will be offered on more models,again not relevant to the model you're buying..

Last edited:
IMO both the dealer and the broker are right -but a bit misleading.

There are at least three ways to order. First you can order exactly what you want from scratch and wait -usually about 12 weeks. Or you can find a dealer with a build slot coming up in the quarter in which you plan to take delivery -but a slot that nobody else has yet reserved. If it is a fair time away it will still be open to you changing the spec quite substantially (I've done this several times). If it is not very far away only very limited changes or none will be allowed.

The alternative is to choose one of the cars that are already in the country or in transit to UK. You can usually get close to your spec -if it is not too unusual- if you order early enough in the quarter. This is really the only practical way to get delivery in a short time.

It is not always easy to finish one PCP and start another exactly on the button -hiring a car to fill the gap may be a sensible option.

BTW personal contract hire is not the same as a PCP. With contract hire you pay a few payments up front and then monthly payments usually for three years and then give the car back. There is no option to purchase.

With a PCP you pay a deposit and then monthly payments and you get a guaranteed residual (guaranteed final value) at the end of the contract. You can give the car back at the end of contract, or part-ex it against another, or buy it at the GFV (with or without finance).

BTW the offers for a new quarter are often only decided upon at Head Office UK right at the last minute. A dealer may get a hint of what is coming but it can, and sometimes does change late in the day. I have been caught out on this once or twice!

Last edited:
Thought I'd give an update...

Firstly, thanks for all your explanations, it now makes the situation clearer, especially given the most recent happenings.

I went ahead and placed my order with the broker, and , as predicted, they have come back today and said there is no specification amendable cars that will qualify for the free servicing deal. In order to get the free servicing I would have to take a stock car with COMAND and no other options in either silver or black.

The better news is that they will offer my originally specced car ( Tenorite grey/black interior, COMAND, multi contour seats and HK Surround) for July delivery at the same price.

Let's see if this order gets accepted! I'll also be interested when the dealer calls me in June to see how he would mange to get me this spec car in 6 weeks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom