1 year in a Merc. I'm off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pjs

Car
C250cdi Coupe, Audi S5 Cab
The 2004/04 C230k sold last friday, 370 days of uneventful Merc Ownership. I'll be off then, but before I do a few facts that make vaguely interesting reading. 2 track rod ends replaced under warranty, no other problems at all.

Gone from 25k miles to 48k miles
Bought for £12075 from MB dealer
Sold for £8000 privately
Has cost me 1 service, 4 tyres, RFL and Front Brakes (about £1700)
£500 to insure
Averages 27.5mpg, est £4000 in petrol cost

That'll be £10275 for a years motoring, or 44.6p per mile. Should have bought a diesel I guess.:confused:

Going back to my BMW:devil: now and getting the missus a citroen c crosser on contract hire - mega value. Cheerio to you all on here:D

No need to stay away just because you've gone to the dark side:thumb:

You don't have to leave, just 'cos you're getting a BMW :)

Heck, I have a Mundano and I'm still here, annoying folk :devil:

Stick around, it's fun (you can even get Guido'd if you're lucky)

r.s,

Define "Guido'd" please.

You don't have to leave, just 'cos you're getting a BMW :)

Heck, I have a Mundano and I'm still here, annoying folk :devil:

Stick around, it's fun (you can even get Guido'd if you're lucky)

Robert that maybe fun in your book but some of us don't play for your team... maybe they could get pammy'd... hold on where is Pammy these days? , In fact wheres Unmarked?

r.s,

Define "Guido'd" please.

If only it was that simple, it would take me many pages of lore to explain, and even then Scumbag would be pleased beyond all pleasure as I would end up with a :ban:

However, this for starters* :devil:

Oh Guido, forgive me and my lighthearted jest :D

* would being "Guido'd" mean a new verb or adjective has been born? Am I being cheeky? Probably. Have I just ruined my chance of a lift from London to Torquay? Probably.

Last edited:
Careful, Guido may decide to check to see if you really do own a Mondeo :rolleyes:

:devil:

Out of interest, can I ask what sort of a deal did you get on the Citroen ?

Without wishing to cause any offence to anyone, driving a Mercedes is never going to be a proposition where economies pay an important part of ownership.
If you need to count pennies (or even pounds) I would suggest with the utmost respect, a Mercedes is not the car to own or even consider.
Although my pockets are far from bottomless and I do need to be careful sometimes, my ownership of a Mercedes gives me pleasure and enjoyment which very few other cars could hope to match. And for the most part, those are the ones I really couldnt afford to own. For example, Bentley, Bristol, etc.

Without wishing to cause any offence to anyone, driving a Mercedes is never going to be a proposition where economies pay an important part of ownership.
If you need to count pennies (or even pounds) I would suggest with the utmost respect, a Mercedes is not the car to own or even consider.
Although my pockets are far from bottomless and I do need to be careful sometimes, my ownership of a Mercedes gives me pleasure and enjoyment which very few other cars could hope to match. And for the most part, those are the ones I really couldnt afford to own. For example, Bentley, Bristol, etc.

I have had 9 Citroens, of which the 9 seater CX estate was a joy, and the Xantia very reliable and good to drive. Much better value for money these days than mercs. I wish I had bought mine before 1995, when the mercs were perhaps over engineered. Good luck to you!

I have had 9 Citroens, of which the 9 seater CX estate was a joy, and the Xantia very reliable and good to drive. Much better value for money these days than mercs. I wish I had bought mine before 1995, when the mercs were perhaps over engineered. Good luck to you!

As I intimated, you dont buy a Mercedes for "better value". Their values lie elsewhere.
However one of my all time cars to covet is a DS21. Fabulous cars and so diiferent from anything else. A friend had one MANY years ago and was the most comfortable car I have ever been in by miles.

I had a Xantia as a company car some years ago. I went to Ireland in it and a 'widget' broke on the suspension. Spent a hilarious day bouncing around until a dealer fixed it. Was driving to work when a clattering sound was heard from the engine bay - dash board lights came on and I slowly moved towards the kerb. Canm shaft drive belt had snapped at 40K miles and valves were pushed all over the place. New engine at Citroen cost.
Mercs are not all bad.......IMHO

VTDave,

Better value was the cornerstone Mercedes was founded upon IMHO.

The cars were comparatively expensive to buy, especially pre '80's, BUT because of the quality of build, design & engineering would go on forever if properly looked after. They were built to last and until they decided to compete in every level of every market the cars held their values very well, much better than modern Mercedes.

That's where the good value bit came in.

When a Jag or Audi or BMW or Rover or whatever you care to name of the same era was long ago consigned to the scrapyard many an old Merc was still providing pleasure & service.

Just look around you on the road & you'll see how many W201s (newest is 16 y.o.) or W124s (13 y.o) or W107s (21y.o.) or even W123s (25y.o.) are going strong.

VTDave,

Better value was the cornerstone Mercedes was founded upon IMHO.

The cars were comparatively expensive to buy, especially pre '80's, BUT because of the quality of build, design & engineering would go on forever if properly looked after. They were built to last and until they decided to compete in every level of every market the cars held their values very well, much better than modern Mercedes.

That's where the good value bit came in.

When a Jag or Audi or BMW or Rover or whatever you care to name of the same era was long ago consigned to the scrapyard many an old Merc was still providing pleasure & service.

Just look around you on the road & you'll see how many W201s (newest is 16 y.o.) or W124s (13 y.o) or W107s (21y.o.) or even W123s (25y.o.) are going strong.

Totally agree with everything you say. "Value" is a very personal and subjective opinion and can be measured in many ways.
Just because a car is cheap to buy doesnt necessarily make it cheap overall. It has been argued that one of the "best value" cars to buy is a standard Land Rover. Simply because it can be fixed by a bloke with a welding torch and 2 spanners anywhere in the world and will still be in service when we are all pushing up daisies.
On a connected but off-topic story. One of the cheapest holidays I ever had was in Jersey. Damn expensive to get there and stay. But once there, everything is as cheap as chips. Overall, a bargain.
Bit like a Mercedes really.

It has been argued that one of the "best value" cars to buy is a standard Land Rover. Simply because it can be fixed by a bloke with a welding torch and 2 spanners anywhere in the world and will still be in service when we are all pushing up daisies..

I can personally agree with that, I have a 1957 series 1 which I was given, so Nil cost to begin with, in my 5 years I have changed the starter motor (Nil cost as I bought the wrong one on ebay and then sold it for a profit which paid for the right one!) and a fuel pump which cost me about £40.
Apart from that I just change the fuel filter for £3 every time it gets clogged and I have a very cheap car!
Oh and Nil tax!

Out of interest, can I ask what sort of a deal did you get on the Citroen ?

no problem

3 + 23 contract hire at £336/month inc VAT and RFL based on 15k miles per year, for a 2.2HDI exclusive. So I see that as £8700 for 2 years in a brand new motor that will be great for my kids, their friends, for the camping trips etc, and seeing as its a Mitsubishi in all but name it should be reliable

I'm interested in the economics of motoring as I do 35000 miles a year. I know I bought at 'retail' at the start of a slump, so the costs are not exactly a surprise. I lost £4k in depreciation in a year in the Merc, whilstt my ex demo 330d has gone from costing £30k in Oct 2006 to about a value of £12k now

A diesel A class would be very much a car in which to save the pennies, but some of the costs owners on here experience are down to unexpected reliability issues. I wonder how many people on this forum actually realise how much their cars cost per mile??

Ok, I'm rambling a bit, but a Merc can save pennies and pounds and leave you in a decent motor.

Totally agree with everything you say. "Value" is a very personal and subjective opinion and can be measured in many ways.
Just because a car is cheap to buy doesnt necessarily make it cheap overall. It has been argued that one of the "best value" cars to buy is a standard Land Rover. Simply because it can be fixed by a bloke with a welding torch and 2 spanners anywhere in the world and will still be in service when we are all pushing up daisies.
On a connected but off-topic story. One of the cheapest holidays I ever had was in Jersey. Damn expensive to get there and stay. But once there, everything is as cheap as chips. Overall, a bargain.
Bit like a Mercedes really.

Lada Nivas are very mendable. Drove one in Georgia in winter. Did not feel too deprived in comparison to the E class, perhaps strangely.

you should cash in on your bmw and get the new 335d... thats a proper diesel :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom