10 greatest ever Mercs article on MSN

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Silver Arrows??

Interesting article but slightly strange to include the C111 and the 300SLR. Neither model was available to the public to buy as far as I know, the C111 was essentially an experimental prototype and the 300SLR a works racer (although I,m not trying to minimise its racing pedigree here) No mention of the roadgoing McLaren SLR (maybe because of the McLaren input?) or the flawed but extremely significant A CLASS ( originally conceived as an alternative fuel car) and whose design may yet be important in that role. If we include competition cars what about the 89/90 SAUBER C9 Silver Arrow cars who won the Worlds Sports-Prototype championships culminating with their triumph at the 1989 Le Mans 24 hour race. Their appearance marked Mercedes first tentative re-entry to motor racing which would ultimately lead to their participation with Sauber and McLaren in Formula One again. Might have been better to have had 10 best roadgoing cars and 10 best competition cars. I guess Mercedes is fortunate to have so many "SIGNIFICANT" cars to chose from so perhaps difficult to chose only 10.

I like the first one where the doors open up wards real classic :rock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom