10 pin ISO plug from stereo harness W203 coupe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cplnoonoo

Car
Merc C180K Sportcoupe SE
I have a 10 pin ISO type plug left loose from the wiring harness of the stereo in my W203 2003/04 c-class coupe. I know it is for the steering wheel control buttons but one of the other threads shows a picture of the plug with only 2 cables going into it but mines has 5 or so.
Does anybody know what these extra cables are for?
Also*how can i connect*the kenwood steering interface i have*for my aftermarket stereo to this plug as the interface only has the 2 cables but the car has 5 or more as i said. I have already tried just plugging it in and connecting it up fully*to see what would happen but it didn't work at all.
Hopefully somebody could help with this?
Thanks

Some pictures of the cars wiring and the steering adapter will help if you could post them up.

These extra cables could be for a CD changer , there usually connected along the top plug along with the CAN lines

i cnt gt a hold of pics at the moment but if u do a search for 10 way iso u should b able 2 find the thread tht i used for directions tht some1 else posted up. it has pics of the connectors and the interface.

yes i do have the cd changer but im not using with new stereo as it was fibre optic. my model doesnt hv canbus i dont think. it is the one of the last coupe models without it afaik. does this mean ill hv another plug lying around behind the dash for the steering buttons tht i missed when installin the new unit? i had the new unit in for a while whilst i waited on the interface ariving so left a couple of the plugs unattached to anything whilst it was put back into the dash to use for that couple of weeks lol.

edit: i think ur thinking of the quadock connectors which has everything in the 1 block plug connector. i have standard iso connectors

Last edited:
Those extra wires are for the canbus Hi and Lo plus the CD changer power and wakeup.

I dont think i have canbus on my model do I? I do have the cd changer but that was connected to the stereo through the fibre optics but i guess the power etc would be coming from that 10 way plug as now it is disconnected i have no power to the changer to release the cartrigde of cds i left in it before i unhooked the old stereo lol. They werent particularly good cds anyway so they can stay there until i put the old unit back in when i sell the car lol.

As Alfie has said in the previous post , the two wire ( brown browm/red ) are CAN bus wires , the other 3 are the CD lines , a wake up ( pink ) and power , earth lines for the CD . The Fibre optic lines are also for the CD .

So which 2 should be connected to the kenwood interface plug for the steering control buttons?

The 2 CAN wires , ie the Brown and Brown/red

I dont think connecting the steering wires direct to the can bus is a good idea, I have a feeling it will block all comms on the canbus.

My Kenwood steering interface connects to the back of the cluster

Ok, so what do i need to do then? Rewire my plug with the cd changer and canbus wires in it so that just the red and brown/red wires are on the 2 pins that the kenwood interface needs to connect to?

is this the plug that you need to connect to ?
This shows the kenwood adaptor connected to the cars CAN lines . This is also the plug that the CD changer lines connect into .
15244d1247078804-c220-w203-2003-10-way-iso-10-not-080720091397.jpg

Yeh, thats the one except mines doesnt have just 2 orange wires (if they are that colour in mine im not sure cant remember) It has 5 or 6 i think. Do i need to try and swap round some of the wires so that the 2 wires i need are in the end 2 pins matching the interfaces 2 on the plug?

There will not be any need to swap around wires in the plug . The CAN lines will be in the right place , and the extra CD lines will not connect to any thing .

Well all the connections are being made properly and tested using multimeter so unless the interface unit is faulty it has to be either the cables on the plug not matching up, a bad earth(spliced onto the stereos ground cable so should work as the stereo is working) or the blue stereo wire is not working as it should be. Its so annoying ive been trying to get this working for the past month and a bit lol. Spent agees waiting on the new type of interface arriving as i ordered mine just as kenwood had replaced the old units so needed to wait on kenwood delivering the new units to the place i got mine from...found out that it had the wrong connections even though it is the model they say is for my car(2003/04 model) and is the same model for all c-classes all the way up to 2007 models which is obviously wrong lol. I then went back to the original kenwood retailer i ordered the interface from who told me to get onto kenwood as the only information they had was that the model i had was for the car i had...it clearly wasnt as i was standing there with the interface in one hand and could see that there was no way that 2 connections would match up. So i got on to kenwood technical dept who was as confused as the guy at the retailer. He sent the harness from an a-class to try which didnt as it didnt have the 10way iso plug for the buttons connection. It was however the only harness from their new range that has ISO plugs that they have associated with mercs. I got back onto kenwood yet again who said they would contact there collegues in europe (funny since their office is here in UK...thats still europe last time i checked) and investigate this further and until then he had dug out one of their old interface models that is specifically for the c-class 2003/04 and sent that out to me. This is the one that connects properly to all the connections and have managed to do so but it doesnt work and the picture on the posts above shows the guys 10way plug with only 2 cables in it. The kenwood interface has 2 which matches up fine but mines has 5 or more so i thought maybe the 2 cables i needed were moved to the other pins on the plug to make way for the cd changer cables etc and now they didnt match up with the interface it therefor didnt work.

As you say i dont need to swap any of the cables in the plug, what else could it be?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom