10% rule

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model 3 LR, Model X /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
Is such a rule set in stone?

10% on top of the speed limit ;) before the camera will send you a picture of your car for £100

The guideline (not rule) is that a fixed penalty would be issued at 10% plus 2 mph over the speed limit.

My understanding is, and I don’t know where I heard this, perhaps it came to me in a dream.

Anyway, if you go through a speed camera, over the limit, 10 times, you get snapped and it goes on your record, on the 11th occasion you will get a ticket even if you are only 4 miles over the limit in a 30 mile zone.

I think I have broken the speed limit on about 2 or 4 occasions and never had a ticket, perhaps this is the reason why.

Dec

My understanding is, and I don’t know where I heard this, perhaps it came to me in a dream.

Anyway, if you go through a speed camera, over the limit, 10 times, you get snapped and it goes on your record, on the 11th occasion you will get a ticket even if you are only 4 miles over the limit in a 30 mile zone.

I think I have broken the speed limit on about 2 or 4 occasions and never had a ticket, perhaps this is the reason why.

Dec

I think this has come to you in a dream mate lol, if you have broken the limit through a camera it is more likely either you were within the magical '10% +2' or those cameras were non-operational

It's purely a guidline. You could be issued a ticket for exceeding the limit by one mile per hour.

Cameras may be set according to "ten percent plus two" or any other arbitrary value, but if you're measured excdeeding the limit by any amount you risk prosecution.

No, it's not set in stone: the "posted limit + 10% + 2mph" is the guideline recommended threshold for action to be taken, but any speed above the limit is actionable. In practice, camera thresholds tend not to deviate below the guideline in most areas, but it is at the discretion of the individual (s)camera partnership.

I have heard that the Average Speed Cameras on the A9 / 90 north of Perth etc., are set to prosecute at 10% above the posted limit. Can anybody confirm?

Some useful information from the CPS referencing the ACPO guidelines, there is nothing stopping anyone from setting a fixed speed camera to a lower threshold value.

I am fairly convinced that in nearby Cambridge this has been the case for one particular camera location as the number of tickets issued skyrocketed for no reason.

Road Traffic Offences: Guidance on Fixed Penalty Notices

Speed Enforcement
The Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) issued revised speed enforcement policy guidance in 2013. It suggests that enforcement will normally occur when a driver exceeds the speed limit by a particular margin. The particular margin is normally 10 per cent over the speed limit plus 2 mph. The guidance sets guidelines for when it would be appropriate to issue a fixed penalty notice or for the driver to attend a speed awareness course, and when it becomes appropriate to issue a summons. These are guidelines only and a police officer has discretion to act outside of them providing he acts fairly, consistently and proportionately.

In summary the guidelines are:

Speed limit: 20 mph

ACPO threshold for:

• a fixed penalty or a Speed Awareness course: 24 mph
  • summoning: 35 mph
Speed limit: 30 mph

ACPO threshold for:

• a fixed penalty or a Speed Awareness course: 35 mph
  • summoning: 50 mph
Speed limit: 40 mph

ACPO threshold for:

• a fixed penalty or a Speed Awareness course: 46 mph
  • summoning: 66 mph
Speed limit: 50 mph

ACPO threshold for:

• a fixed penalty or a Speed Awareness course: 57 mph
  • summoning: 76 mph
Speed limit: 60 mph

ACPO threshold for:

• a fixed penalty or a Speed Awareness course: 68 mph
  • summoning: 86 mph
Speed limit: 70 mph

ACPO threshold for:

• a fixed penalty or a Speed Awareness course: 79 mph
  • summoning: 96 mph

Some useful information from the CPS referencing the ACPO guidelines, there is nothing stopping anyone from setting a fixed speed camera to a lower threshold value.

I am fairly convinced that in nearby Cambridge this has been the case for one particular camera location as the number of tickets issued skyrocketed for no reason.

Road Traffic Offences: Guidance on Fixed Penalty Notices

Speed Enforcement
The Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) issued revised speed enforcement policy guidance in 2013. It suggests that enforcement will normally occur when a driver exceeds the speed limit by a particular margin. The particular margin is normally 10 per cent over the speed limit plus 2 mph. The guidance sets guidelines for when it would be appropriate to issue a fixed penalty notice or for the driver to attend a speed awareness course, and when it becomes appropriate to issue a summons. These are guidelines only and a police officer has discretion to act outside of them providing he acts fairly, consistently and proportionately.

In summary the guidelines are:

Speed limit: 20 mph

ACPO threshold for:

• a fixed penalty or a Speed Awareness course: 24 mph
  • summoning: 35 mph
Speed limit: 30 mph

ACPO threshold for:

• a fixed penalty or a Speed Awareness course: 35 mph
  • summoning: 50 mph
Speed limit: 40 mph

ACPO threshold for:

• a fixed penalty or a Speed Awareness course: 46 mph
  • summoning: 66 mph
Speed limit: 50 mph

ACPO threshold for:

• a fixed penalty or a Speed Awareness course: 57 mph
  • summoning: 76 mph
Speed limit: 60 mph

ACPO threshold for:

• a fixed penalty or a Speed Awareness course: 68 mph
  • summoning: 86 mph
Speed limit: 70 mph

ACPO threshold for:

• a fixed penalty or a Speed Awareness course: 79 mph
  • summoning: 96 mph

Nice one, everyone better keep it below 96... LOL

I am not sure what the rules/guidelines are.
Last September I was sent a notice of intended prosecution or the option of a speed awareness course for doing 34 MPH in a 30 limit. I took the awareness course (AKA contribution to retired police officers pension scheme).
So in Hampshire the 10% plus 2 MPH does not seem to apply.

I am not sure what the rules/guidelines are.
Last September I was sent a notice of intended prosecution or the option of a speed awareness course for doing 34 MPH in a 30 limit. I took the awareness course (AKA contribution to retired police officers pension scheme).
So in Hampshire the 10% plus 2 MPH does not seem to apply.

Did you not see the camera or something?

To be frank it was in the New Forest I thought it was a 40 MPH speed limit, so 34 was well safe, but wrong my error !

When judging your speed remember that a speedo by law can show up to 110% of actual speed but NOT lower than actual speed, translates as they all over read by around 5%, which is why, combined with the ACPO guidelines, you SHOULD be able to do an indicated 80 on a motorway without worrying. Obviously guidelines are just that though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom