10 used cars that will hold their value in 2014.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grumpyoldgit

MB Enthusiast
Car
C270CDI Avantgarde SE
Taken from confused dot com.

Rather surprising that BMW don't feature in their top ten, considering the number of rival German cars listed.

"Hold their value" is as much a £ term as it is a %.

I'm surprised that cars losing 45% of the value in 2 years is making the top ten.

I thought the Kia Sportage and the Skoda Yeti were the top runners in the low depreciation stakes currently? (31% over 3 years)

I think that's the first time I've eve seen a Peugeot in a top ten least depreciation list.

The average sale price as a measure of loss is also odd - that's the advertised, not achieved, price. For a private you will lose more as most likely it will be trade in price that you get.

Just shows how even the best cars lose you loads.

the list is surely a selected Top 10 rather than the absolute Top 10. They've not even said what engine variant for each model, which makes a very large difference......Passat 1.6TDI vs W12 anyone?

the list is surely a selected Top 10 rather than the absolute Top 10. They've not even said what engine variant for each model, which makes a very large difference......Passat 1.6TDI vs W12 anyone?

Well the small print does say mid range so I'd say 2.0tdi for a Passat.

I had one and it was very 'mid range'!!

The only one I'm surprised at on that list is the Seat, even if it is a VW in drag. The 207's were always a popular car especially with the women folk. But best of all is the both the Golf & Polo as 'the boss' was interested in both new. So, I showed her the above, she's having second thoughts about new, :D Thank you, grumpyoldgit :thumb:

I bet number 1 next year will be the Ford Mustang ...

moonloops said:
Yep: Audi ranked #1 loses you £6299 and the French tat at #10 only loses you £5524

Unlike myself, someone with an Audi is not likely to replace their car with something other than another Audi, so for them irrespective of how much they lose, it's still better than they originally expected, leaving more money to spend on the next.

The Audi A5 received the 2014 award for best retuned value car.

I'm looking at the E-Class so happy with the results on here!

I'm surprised that cars losing 45% of the value in 2 years is making the top ten.

I thought the Kia Sportage and the Skoda Yeti were the top runners in the low depreciation stakes currently? (31% over 3 years)

This is only the top ten cars listed on their site. It also ignores front end discount, which would be significant for a Peugeot 207.

Since when has losing up to 45% of the original cost been considered "holding value" ??

The article should be titled Cars That Will Depreciate The Least In 2014

The new Range Rover Sport has hardly dropped in value since it's launch last year.

Last edited:
I think the interest rate rise will re-align prices as most cars are bought on the never-never these days. Particularly aspirational 'image' cars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom