1000 mile round trip - stress free

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LTD

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Polo GTi (and a travel pass for the train and subway)
.... and I didn't take the S500 !

However, I did consider it and decided not to.

We had the privilege of being invited to London on my own steam for a weekend at the behest of a company rep that we deal with. Concert tickets and a nice stay in a very nice hotel.

"Just get here !"

So I weighed up the options and decided against the luxury road trip. I took the Virgin Express from Glasgow to Euston.

What a pleasure it was !

4 hours and 30 minutes to travel about 450 miles. Try that as you may in any car ! Mine will do it with consummate ease but it would take a whole load of luck not to lose your license.

A full on weekend enjoying great hospitality, endless 'refreshments' and great weather whilst sight-seeing made a weekend a blast without once worrying about my 'ticket to ride'

Sometimes, it's better to park up and let the train take the strain !

I'm off to Glasgow next weekend with Mrs M for some medical scans at a clinic up there.

I weighed up driving, but once I'd found out how cheap it was to fly it was a no brainer, I then remembered I had a load of old Air Miles I'd not used since I started flying with Virgin regularly. Found I had enough miles for a free flight for both of us and a free hire car (nothing fancy - just a Ford Focus).

I've been on a lot of long haul flights this year so far so a quick hop to Glasgow will be a breeze.

How much was the train anyhow?

The flights were in the region of £60 each...I can't rememer if that included tax or not.

How much was the train anyhow?

The flights were in the region of £60 each...I can't rememer if that included tax or not.

We booked one week before travel and it was £108 return each.

If one could put my car on a train to Scotland, I would be up there like a shot. 4 1/2 hours to Glasgow - it takes pretty much that on a normal train to get to Plymouth nowadays.

In fact, I could get to Brussels or Paris from my front door in less time on the train than it would take me to get to Plymouth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom