100k miles or 5 years

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model 3 LR, Model X /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
My spark plugs & fuel filter were changed at 56,000 miles in 2009 by a previous owner. Current mileage is 104,000

I have just checked the maintenance records and the plugs are now due a change due to the 5 year/100,000 mile schedule.

However as it has already been 8 years, can I wait till i do a few K more miles say 10k? As the plugs / filter haven't done anywhere near 100,000

Cheers

Last edited:
My spark plugs & fuel filter were changed at 56,000 miles in 2009 by a previous owner. Current mileage is 104,000

I have just checked the maintenance records and the plugs are now due a change due to the 5 year/100,000 mile schedule.

However as it has already been 8 years, can I wait till i do a few K more miles say 10k? As the plugs / filter haven't done anywhere near 100,000

Cheers

The reason for the spark plug change is to prevent the threads from corroding which in turn would make it very difficult to remove the spark plugs later on. But not due to performance deterioration over time.

It is not an exact science and you could decide to leave them there for longer, they may be fine to remove even after 8 or 10 years.

Said that, on a general note car maintenance is not like prescription medication... if you skipped a scheduled service you should simply get it done as soon as possible then 'reset' the counter and start counting miles/years again from that point onwards.

The reason for the spark plug change is to prevent the threads from corroding which in turn would make it very difficult to remove the spark plugs later on. But not due to performance deterioration over time.

It is not an exact science and you could decide to leave them there for longer, they may be fine to remove even after 8 or 10 years.

Said that, on a general note car maintenance is not like prescription medication... if you skipped a scheduled service you should simply get it done as soon as possible then 'reset' the counter and start counting miles/years again from that point onwards.

Cheers, I'll try get it done asap but you've put my mind at ease was worrying about misfiring etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom