107 education required urgently.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

neilrr

MB Enthusiast
Car
Various.
Going to look at a 107 SL later in the week. I have always liked the cars. A rich schoolfriend's parents had a signal red 350SL in the '70's (when we had a poo brown Maxi) & I was pretty much hooked. Actually prefer the look of the SLC but those all nearly all gone.

Anyway,

What's the best: Engine, options, year, colours, etc

What to beware of: rust where? Are there bad years? Is later better than early? 6 cylinders bad, 8 good?

Any advice most welcome.

TIA.

SLC's are cheaper are there are stll some around. Look for rust on the sills floor as these are a favourite. The steering can have a tendency to be woolly and the suspesion to be soft and vauge so check them too. The gear box should be smooth but don't compare it to the modern.

I think the best engine is the 500 V8.(personal Choice) They take a fair amount of maintenence but are well worth it. If you spend £15k+ you will get somthing really nice and of course it has to be bright red too!!

Rust Rust and more... I say loads before buying mine. I founds rust in the boot wells, around the arches, wings, inner wings etc etc...

I would only go for the V8's as the 6 cylinders are well underpowered IMO....

rust traps as stated above. + another serious rust area- heater plenum chamber--rusts thro to front footwells--- beware if carpets are wet. check by unscrewing heater blower plastic cover on bulkhead. windscreen, door seals, windows, boot can all leak. make sure it comes with a hardtop its a standard fitment. bodywise the later the better for rustproofing . Best engine IMHO later 3 litre straight 6 a la w124. Remember there is no such thing as a cheap 107. A clean /restored car will cost serious money, a cheap one will require serious money to be spent on it.

I agree with all of the above checks, the main one being check for rust.

Cars after 85 were by far the most sorted and best.

I drove the 300, and 450 before deciding on a 500. I know these cars are not all about speed, but the power of the V8, makes the straight 6 a let down.

Good luck with your search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom