108cdi horrid knocking noise after clutch change.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pongo2000

Banned
Car
2001 110cdi dualiner
108cdi knocking noise from engine bay
Hi again all. The saga continues. Got the van back after getting the clutch done and it's spot on but now there is at least one if not more horrid knocking noises when moving that were not there before. The garage can't recreate the noise when the van is still or jacked up. They have prie barred all the mounts and he finally told ms the top engine mount was gone as it was moving so much. One trip to my local merc dealer later they said that the top mount does move a lot and when he looked he said it was fine. The knocking happens when accelerating or lifting off. Going over bumps and bumpy roads and a diffrent knock when brakeing. When I had the airbox out to k at the engine mount I did notice the supention turrets seemed to be a bit odd. In fact there is at least 10mm gap under the black donut thing and the top of the turret but the nut is tight as hell is this normal??. The garage insist they diddnt touch the suspention top mounts but the van was on the ramp and in the air for over a week as the supplier kept sending the wrong clutch kit.
Any ideas anyone.????

Mine knocked when the inner antiroll bushes were worn. Not on acc or brake but every lift of turn and rock. Try rock the car violently side to side. i had to hang off the side to rock it enough. I've also had the top mount off a few times and i'd say it moves very little ( my opinion. It sounds to me more like your knock might be the bottom centre mount. And yes my turrets look funny too. Maybe stick it in first and rock the car back to front to check the mounts. I wonder could the shocks have become unseated ? or springs. The link rods can knock too. More violent rocking to check these. Try locking the steering to either side while rocking too. Thats all my suggestions i'm afraid. Good luck finding it. I could feel the knock mostly under my feet like in the pedals and a little up the steering wheel. Thats when the roll bar bushes were worn.

Cheers for the suggestions Danny. I took it back to the garage and refused to leave till they sorted it and after protests of innocence they found a bracket somewhere in the engine bay they said was not lined up. all I know is 5min with a windy gun and it knocks no more. now just to clear up all the other faults they have left me with and I will be back to where I started and can start cleaning up the bodywork.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom