109 viewed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bob55smith

Car
Peugeot
Had a look at the Vito on Saturday and I'm just trying to piece together all the info at the moment.

Before I got there I checked that it was not damaged or written off, i.e. registered by insurance.
Also , MOT history showed an advisory about excessive smoke ( make mental note ).

It is 2009, a 109 long, 139000 miles. 5 previous owners including present guy.

Got there early and had a good look underneath which
really looked sound, subframe looked sound, no rust, no oil leaks.

Bodywork had a couple dings, rear nearside cluster broken, zero rust on body. Needs new tyres all round.

Popped bonnet. On right side of engine bay, I fished out a half used roll of that brown parcel tape? On left side there was a rubber glove material plugging up a breather hole. When I pointed this out he started talking about a leaking injector he'd ordered and was going to have fitted. He took this rubber thing off and reconnected the pipe.

Anyway, started straight away from cold. There was no smoke apparent. We both jumped in (wearing facemasks, blxxdy hxll !), him driving about 2 miles, 3 point turn and and back.

Then I drove same route, gearbox positive, checked all gears, no funny noises. Got a decent turn of steering wheel during the turn around, no noises).
I could not for the life of me see where the temp indicator was but there was alot going on and I'm crap at multitasking (is it on the digital display somewhere?? )

By the end of my test drive, the engine light was on ( not sure exactly when this came on , see above about multitasking). Left running after we stopped and still zero smoke.

Chap said he had an injector on order and was adamant that when he gets this injector replaced that the engine light will not come on.
He was suggesting that there was occasionally white smoke because this injector was leaking and that a sensor detects this and triggers the engine light. Then said he'd been told that, as the smoke was white, as opposed to black or blue, that it was not a serious fault anyway.

As I'm writing this down now, it does seem ridiculous to say that I thought the chap was quite genuine. He said he drives the van every day which I believe. Also, he didn't come across as desperate to offload the van.

So basically I left saying I had to think about it.

Thoughts anyone

Trust no one mate. He will be your best friend until you hand over the dosh and then you are on your own. Too many red flags for me but I’m not a mechanical expert but for my personally I wouldn’t entertain it.

He may be genuine but not mechanically sensitive. He may really think he has the best van on the market. But the only thing that has to be genuinely right is the vehicle. You have to trust the metal.

Sounds a load of b*llsh*t ! Too many red flags , Run a mile is my advice

Buy one that doesn't have the EML on.

The verdict is unanimous. Thx everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom