11 Terrible Automotive Engineering Decisions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I concur, first hand, with the lack of fuses in Triumph. Mine combusted when a courtesy light wire that ran, unfused, through the dash, under the carpets and through the roof lost its insulation in the footwell. Loads of smoke, and hurling bits of smouldering carpet and under felt out the car...

nice to see the infamous w124 facelift wiring loom got a mention

Vis a Vis Jalopniks remark quote:- "(And you thought forty-year-old British electrics were bad.)" tis rumoured that the supplier of the insulated wire to build the infamous mercedes looms was in fact JOE LUCAS!!! But don't say anything or they'll try to say that its all BP's fault and claim even more compensation.:rolleyes:

"Worried of White Sands" writes :- I drive a Buick but I have been traumatised by the thought that yet another British company has upset my motoring experience. p.s. I live in Nevada and now can barely make it to the gaming tables without the copious use of psychotropic drugs. :rolleyes:

The Mk1 Cortina had ONE fuse. For some strange reason it was on the indicator circuit.

Prince of Darkness

Seems like a good opportunity to post this collection once more....

The Lucas motto: "Get home before dark."

Lucas denies having invented darkness. But they still claim "sudden, unexpected darkness"

Lucas--inventor of the first intermittent wiper.

Lucas--inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.

The three-position Lucas switch--DIM, FLICKER and OFF. The other three switch settings--SMOKE, SMOLDER and IGNITE.

The original anti-theft devices--Lucas Electric products.

"I've had a Lucas pacemaker for years and have never experienced any prob...

If Lucas made guns, wars would not start either.

Did you hear about the Lucas powered torpedo? It sank.

It's not true that Lucas, in 1947, tried to get Parliament to
repeal Ohm's Law. They withdrew their efforts when they met too much resistance.

Did you hear the one about the guy that peeked into a Land Rover and asked the owner "How can you tell one switch from another at night, since they all look the same?" "He replied, it doesn't matter which one you use, nothing
happens!"

Back in the '70s Lucas decided to diversify its product line and began manufacturing vacuum cleaners. It was the only product they offered which didn't suck.
Quality Assurance phoned and advised the Engineering guy that they had trouble with his design shorting out. So he made the wires longer.

Why do the English drink warm beer? Lucas made the refrigerators, too.

Alexander Graham Bell invented the Telephone.
Thomas Edison invented the Light Bulb.
Joseph Lucas invented the Short Circuit.

Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: check the position of the stars, kill a chicken and walk three times sunwise around your car chanting: "Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant."

Lucas systems actually use AC current; it just has a random frequency.​

Anyone who thought that Lucas car electrics were the world's-worst obviously never ran a British motor bike fitted with them !!

Anyone who thought british bikes with lucas electrics were the worst obviously never ran early italian bikes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom