112 BREATHER COVER SCREWS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Edda

Car
CLK 320 Convertible
Have Mercedes changed the material for these screws? I have just picked up 5 from my local Mercedes centre part number N000000004436 from Aluminium to what looks like stainless steel although the screws are magnetic. If the answer is yes does that mean the torque settings are the same with them now being dissimilar metals 4NM

4Nm is next to nothing, sort of screw driver tight. I don't have a torque wrench that goes remotely that low so I would do it by feel. I would suspect that it's the material that you are screwing into that is the limiting factor rather than the screws. If that's the case then don't increase the torque setting.

if they are magnetic I dont think they are stainless, as suggested just do them by feel.

if they are magnetic I dont think they are stainless, as suggested just do them by feel.

Some crap grades of stainless are magnetic (it all depends on the level of chromium content aiui) although in this case it’s more likely they are simply zinc plated steel.

Some crap grades of stainless are magnetic (it all depends on the level of chromium content aiui) although in this case it’s more likely they are simply zinc plated steel.

Went back to the dealer and double checked the parts guy told me that the screws have a revised new part number and are no longer Aluminium.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom