11k miles on rear tyres (CLK), is this average?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AbbieCadabra

Car
E350CDI
we're down to just over 2mm on the rear tyres, pirelli p zero's. doesn't seem a lot of mileage to me - is it 'average'? just your normal driving, no racing or anything! ;)

also, can't believe how much 2 new pirelli's cost :crazy:, Falken FK452 seem to get good reviews on here, would they be ok instead? what sort of wear is expected with those?

thanks guys :eek:

I got through the P zeros that came on my 209 in just under 15000 miles, and that was mostly motorway stuff, and not hard driving (except now and then :D)
The front ones are still going at 24000
I put Continental Sport Contact 3's on the back, but they seem very noisy (and cost an arm and a leg...each!:eek:) - noisier than the Sport Contact 2's I had on my 203.

I noticed my rears were down to 2mm after 16,000 miles. Then I noticed that was just the edges of the tyres, the centre had no tread at all & looked like a slick. Managed about 21,000 on the front except the edges wear first.

Russ

My CLK needed rears at around 19K, fronts still going strong(ish) at 20309 miles.
Have Michelin Pilot Sports on all 4 corners.

Blimey - you all gt very good milage from your tyres - I only get about 8K on the rears!

thanks for the replies/info :D

some varied miles there, very impressive from WXM on the Michelin's! i'll have a look at those too now.

Not a CLK but I've always got ~19K from my tyres (F&R) using Michelin Pilots

I personally use Toyo T1R they really good and gripy usually get 10-12K on them! Also depending on the driving style, i'm not the slowest driver so could get more out of them if I was abit more careful but i'm always in a rush.. :|

Try this site, you would be surprised at how reasonable prices are on there!

http://www.camskill.co.uk

hope that helps.

sorry, another question (a little information is dangerous!). do i need to be buying 'run flat'? is that what the pirelli's on now are?

cheers

11k seems very low to me, even with soft grippy Pirellis. Michelins will certainly give you more, as will a conscientiously gentle and smooth driving style, and of course correct inflation as per MB's instructions on the fuel filler flap and in the handbook.

With Michelins, the worst I've done is 20k+ out of the fronts on the very torquey Golf VR6. I'm getting 30k+ on the rears of my W124 E320 Coupé.

11k seems very low to me, even with soft grippy Pirellis. Michelins will certainly give you more, as will a conscientiously gentle and smooth driving style, and of course correct inflation as per MB's instructions on the fuel filler flap and in the handbook.

With Michelins, the worst I've done is 20k+ out of the fronts on the very torquey Golf VR6. I'm getting 30k+ on the rears of my W124 E320 Coupé.

30k sounds a little high (by my driving standards). I had to change all 4 tyres previously because of new alloys, they lasted 18k miles and they only had 5mm tread depth on them when i bought the car, and they were all random makes (rear 2 were falkens, one of which popped on the motorway).

But i dont believe in using the fuel filler cap instructions for tyre pressures unless u still have the same wheels that were on the car when it left the factory.

But i dont believe in using the fuel filler cap instructions for tyre pressures unless u still have the same wheels that were on the car when it left the factory.

I think the pressures on the fuel flap are for the car and are relevant for any wheel tyre combo approved by MB for that vehicle.

120psi all around and if they come of the rim they didnt use enough super glue:D.

Lynall

I think the pressures on the fuel flap are for the car and are relevant for any wheel tyre combo approved by MB for that vehicle.

Then why is the same sticker not used on every car showing the different sizes?
The fact that every MB has a different sticker depending on what wheels are fitted would suggest to me that it is not that simple.

Every car I have ever owned has had a sticker with different pressures for each wheel/tyre combination available on that model, except MB which use a different sticker for every car.

The new Haynes manual for the C class specifically states that "the pressures shown on the sticker inside the fuel flap are for the tyres that the car left the factory with, if other makes or sizes are used you should refer to the manufacturer or supplier for the latest recommended pressures" or words to that effect.

Russ

Question-

When tyre / wheel combos change does the air volume in the tyre remain constant? (Remember the overall diameter should remain the same.)

Thats about the same as I had from my P zero's I had on the C43. Not good.

Question-

When tyre / wheel combos change does the air volume in the tyre remain constant? (Remember the overall diameter should remain the same.)

No, I would think the air volume reduces with lower profile tyres, but the pressure can be the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom