12 V charger- not working

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sarah.grandon

Car
Mercedes clk
Hey lovelies, got myself a griffin 12 V USB charger, plugged it in with new charging cable... nothing!! I am completely jinxed, I tell ya.. I know the answer ... but ... do I need to press a hidden button or roll up my trouser leg on a Tuesday afternoon for it to work??? Oh and I can't get the bloody thing out now either!! I give up!! Yeah I'm the one that has been trying and failing at EVERY turn to use my phone in my car, bought (now returned) Anker soundsync as the lead wasn't long enough and really do NOT want wires everywhere.... so I thought, at least I can charge the thing... NO!! ... so a just giving page it is then for a MB £300+ adapter [emoji19][emoji36]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does it have a light on it? If so, does that illuminate? Do other things plugged into that socket work?

Could be the fuse blown if something metal has been dropped in it in the past.

Does it have a light on it? If so, does that illuminate? Do other things plugged into that socket work?

Could be the fuse blown if something metal has been dropped in it in the past.

No love, no light!! It's the first thing I've plugged in it ?? It's in the ashtray with a cover over it ?? Do t get it ??!! X

Sounds like the socket has been damaged if you can't unplug it.

Sounds like it has blown a fuse. The fuse diagram/layout will be your friend (usually located in the drivers side panel at the far end of the dash). The socket fuse is normally (not always) under the bonnet.

You may have to get a flat thin blade and wiggle it down the sides of the plug in an effort to push in the two plug metal springs and release it. This should be dome with the fuse out as the fuse may not have blown and you have a damaged cable/plug causing it to jam.

Sarah i would like to help you , . Dont you know some young man that could help .Dont play about inside the fuse box if you dont know much about them. .May be you will get help from a member willing to come over and take a look for you . But i dont see your location on your profile .

Sarah i would like to help you , . Dont you know some young man that could help .Dont play about inside the fuse box if you dont know much about them. .May be you will get help from a member willing to come over and take a look for you . But i dont see your location on your profile .

Optimusprime... thank you love!! No I know nothing about fuse boards so I won't be dabbling in the inards!! I live in Southport, I would really appreciate any help anyone could offer!! End of my rope with it all tbh lovely... you have made my day though !! Thank you [emoji9] x

Just followed that link - I bought a clone of that in my local Tesco filling station : it didn't fit properly in the lighter sockets in either of my cars and just doesn't stay in place .

There are other ones that do fit .

I've managed to get it out !! The box it came in seemed like it was the real deal!! I'm going to return it!! Don't know if I should bother again !! You can't seem to know or trust what you buy these days!! It wasn't a cheap one !! X

You need to also test the socket to make sure that's ok before you buy another.

Doesn't anyone you know have one of those crap little cig socket vacuum cleaners you could borrow? A tyre inflator/air compressor?

You need to also test the socket to make sure that's ok before you buy another.

Doesn't anyone you know have one of those crap little cig socket vacuum cleaners you could borrow? A tyre inflator/air compressor?

No, but I'm going to have to buy something to test it , something with a light I think so I can tell !! I've emailed Griffin and let them know!! Think I've resigned myself to the fact if I want these functions to work I'm going to have to buy an MB one !! [emoji36]x

Do you not have the original ciggie lighter? Failing that any (seen working) cigarette ligher socket device will do to test.

The fuses do fail easily in these sockets as they are designed that way to avoid setting fire to anything that gets plugged in there.

If you post up your exact car model we can probably find a diagram with the exact fuse number and location.

I've managed to get it out !! The box it came in seemed like it was the real deal!! I'm going to return it!! Don't know if I should bother again !! You can't seem to know or trust what you buy these days!! It wasn't a cheap one !! X

This is the one I have and it works fine.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B019XP8PMM/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

In fact I have 3 in the car, one in the front, one in the back for the kids to charge their devices and a hidden one that runs the dashcam and phone mount.

Do you not have the original ciggie lighter? Failing that any (seen working) cigarette ligher socket device will do to test.
I'm pretty sure that unless someone selected that option, it's just a 12V outlet and a storage cubby. - Mine doesn't have a cigarette lighter, and even has a little "no smoking" warning triangle.

Other than that I can't really help other than to say that mine works with the cheap Chinese charger I bought, so I'd start by looking at the fuses too.

You little smoothie :bannana:

Don't write yourself off yet, Rod Stewart and Mick Jagger can still manage it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom