123 seats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kvz2000

Car
Mercedes W124 300e. Mercedes SL500
Hi All,
I'm looking to purchase a 1982 Mercedes 123 , I love them but just wondering how comfortable they are on a long journey , the one I'm thinking about has a very very 'springy' seat , I'm hoping someone on here has driven or owned one and can shed some light on my question .
Cheers

They should be lovely and firm but springs under the padding break after 30+ years.

I need to fix mine, hopefully without resortingh to using foam 'pool noodles'!

They should be lovely and firm but springs under the padding break after 30+ years.

I need to fix mine, hopefully without resortingh to using foam 'pool noodles'!

Thanks , I wouldn't describe them as firm , if I manage to do a deal I'll probably need to get them looked at

Yes , they should be firm to the point of appearing hard , but actually very comfortable on a long run .

The seats are easy to remove and broken springs are obvious . With the seat out of the car the squab then the cover is easily removed . Normally just the driver's one goes and a base from a passenger side seat will be as new and fits right in ; the seat base from a W126 is the same part and plenty of these still being broken if not W123s .

I previously did a 'how-to' with a 190E seat , which is very similar , I'll dig out and post the link .

If you don't have a spare spring base , some people weld them .

W123 seats are very comfortable if in good order. Sadly they generally collapse.
They can be firmed up and restored as Pontneer states.

Would 107 spring bases fit a 123 seat?
I saved some that were on the cusp...

Not sure re the 107 seats ?

Re my rebuild thread , I trawled back through my 'started threads' looking for the one on my 190E 2.6 , during which I rebuilt the front seats and retrofitted orthopaedic seats found in a breakers yard .

Unfortunately my started threads seemed to stop around 2006 then there's a gap until 2009 ! Those who know me will also think it unlikely I didn't start any new threads over a three year period !

I bought the 2.6 around March 2008 and would have started the thread soon after .

I will still have the pictures on file somewhere so will dig them out and post one night this week .

Oh , also worth looking at the horsehair stuffing which sometimes sags .

Don't know if you can get new anymore - I doubt it - but good passenger seat base will usually be as new .

107 seat pads fit W114/5 nicely, but the 123 seats are different.

You can get replacement seat pads for a 123, the rubberised horsehair dries out and loses its firmness. I had these replaced on my W114 but the springs were fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom