124 AC Compressor Problems.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WDB124066

MB Enthusiast
Car
1996 E320 Sportline Cabriolet x 2
Has anybody had problems with the MB-Genuine replacement AC compressors for the later model 124's. Are the ones sold now giving up the ghost a little prematurely? Are bearing kits, seal & reco kits available or are they just replaced as a unit.

Regards to all, W.

Coincidence or not, my w124 is at an indy having had a new MB genuine climate control compressor; the outgoing one was the original.

I will be viewing the old compressor this week when I go to collect the car and I have been told that a failure of a fan (?) was a contributing factor to its demise allowing the compressor to overheat.

I'll ask the indy owner whether bearing kits etc are available.

Info I have here is that bearing kits [or any repair kit] are not available from MB.

Would you mind asking your mech if he is aware of any reliability issues with the replacement MB-Genuine ones, news I'm getting here is they fail regularly. Was wondering if this is just scaremongering.

AND, how many miles had it covered ....??

For your information, my original compressor went at 86,000 miles / 20 years. For the 10 years under my ownership, the aircon is always on when I drive the vehicle.

Yes I'll ask about reliability issues of replacement units.

Thanks for that,

Mine's at 143000. Did you have to replace the whole unit or just the clutch?

I had the whole unit replaced at a cost of £271.19 plus vat plus labour.

My indy says that he has had no issue with genuine MB condensers and asked if those that failed after a comparatively short period were OEM parts.

He reasoned that my a/c failed due to one of the cooling fans not working (offside) causing the condenser to overheat resulting in a loss of gas, putting undue pressure on what was a rusting item.

GPB 2000 from MB here for compressor and clutch. Your indy has no problems with condensers but has he had any issue with replacement AC Compressors/clutch assembly. Maybe it's too late to ask now?

Last edited:
I always use Compressortech Ltd, who are based in Birmingham. Nice guys, sensible prices and know their stuff. Just google them for info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom