124 Airbags, from when? V low miles oddity.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

isobars

Car
300SD'79, E300TD '95, 300TDT '82, 280CE '84, 250L '84, 300SEL LPG '91, 300D '80, 300CE '91, 300E '89
Hi All,

I'm going to look at a 300E (lpg fitted) tomorrow.

Advertised as 1994 first registered, but from the factory in 1989, only 22k miles - and looks it.

Images show clearly a phase two car and there's an airbag.

I just wondered when they were first fitted. I've a 1991 without.

Cheers,

Paul

My pre face lift 91 Coupe does not have an air bag. the 94 and 95 face lifts do.

Im guessing Dash would be your name to answer this.

Steering wheel airbags were fitted to 92- W201's,so I would guess the same for
the W124.

They were an option on the W126 and might have been an extra cost option in some markets back then. :dk: Certainly weren't standard in 89. Airbags were originally developed for the USA market as they were initially favoured instead of seat belts as being a passive restrain system as opposed to one you had to actively adopt by wearing them.

As far as I recall Airbags were available from early 80's, on the W201,W124 & W126. If I recall correctly I saw an airbag fitted to 1984 190E 2.3-16.

Isn't a '94 car an Exxx, not an xxxE? Was there ever a facelifted 300?

About after August 1993 manufacture date they became standard AFAIK.

My '93 reg 300TD has a driver side airbag, think it was built before Aug though. Is there a build date on it?

quote -

"Advertised as 1994 first registered, but from the factory in 1989, only 22k miles - and looks it. "

So is it an import or something? :confused:

Isn't a '94 car an Exxx, not an xxxE? Was there ever a facelifted 300?

But he does state on the first post that is an earlier car but registered on 94,hence 300e

As for the airbag yes they were optional pre 90,drivers only

Hi All,

I'm going to look at a 300E (lpg fitted) tomorrow.

Advertised as 1994 first registered, but from the factory in 1989, only 22k miles - and looks it.

Images show clearly a phase two car and there's an airbag.

I just wondered when they were first fitted. I've a 1991 without.

Cheers,

Paul

I±d like to meet the owner that decided to fit LPG on a 22k car :crazy:

Good point Dash. If the LPG system fit is as old as the car walk away, nope, sprint. The early LPG systems are horrendous and should not be mated to a Mercedes. I had seen two systems (early ones) and they were in-fathomable. Newer systems sit nicely and appear reliable.

Thanks All for the info and advice,
The data card or plate should clear-up a few things.
I'm also worried about the LPG, though I suspect it's recent as it's not been that widely available in Portugal until lately. I've the same engine with a ten year old system which works well, but I suspect I'm lucky with it!
If I'm to sell it in Germany, which is an option, it will have to be good and approved, otherwise perhaps it'll have to come out. It'll also need to be a car that's registered elsewhere in 89 to get the tax benefits in The Fatherland.
I'll update the topic when I've had a look at it later.
Cheers,

Paul

Hi All,

I saw the car this afternoon, a minter and genuine miles no doubt. Recent (18 months and 3k miles) LPG as well. I'm waiting for the EU papers on the installation to see if it conforms and I need to verify that it will get 25 year status because it was imported from Africa with an EU date of 1994.

Had a period of 12 years without any miles, was re-commissioned correctly and was sold by the widow of the first owner the second owner who did very little in it. Bought from him by the current owner who has put 3k miles on it. He had no need for the car - like that makes a difference! - still has no need and wants to sell it. He’s genuine, communicative, appeared at the appointed time and spoke English - Swiss, he couldn't have been Portuguese. The fellow has been here 25 years after retiring early, has a 40 Hectare water-front property in Fiji and seems quite relaxed about life. A bid in the nuts may not move him!

There’s a link to a few images here:

300E Photos by sonysnaps | Photobucket

I’m just about to try and research the chassis number wdb 124 030 1136 12060, the option codes are 061 / 844 twice? / 412 / 420 / 586 / 620 / 751 / 869. Also there’s 123489 and 124030.

I think it’s Japan supplied, September, 1989.

What’s it worth?

I know these super low miles make decent brass - and where can you find a nearly new car built to the highest standards these days? No doubt about it, this car is nearly new and of the finest build quality.

It’s sadly had a ding - see image.

It still seems younger than ‘89, the cabin is faultless.

Time for some head scratching.

Cheers,

Paul

Last edited:
Boy oh boy Paul would not like to be in your shoes right down.

Sounds absolutely "bob-on" Miss it and you'll regret it, buy it and you still may regret it an itsy bitsy bit.

Whats it worth. Who knows? 5 to 8K with that history perhaps, if, the gas conversion checks out good.

I know my heart would rule my wallet in your shoes my head would not come into it.

Photo bucket is "down" right now for maintenance so Ill check back later for a quick druel.

Good Luck either way.

CHEERS

Thanks John, much appreciated!

If it was an estate I'd almost offer the asking price!

It's a fine, fine car.

Down to what he'll take, I suppose. My thoughts at the moment are if I can get it for 4000 GBP there shouldn't be much risk and I can have the odd Sunday trip out until it's sold.

That said, I suspect 5 is his minimum.

Cheers,

Paul

The steering wheel is not original for an 89 car

The steering wheel is not original for an 89 car

That's what I thought, and the option code has no mention of a steering wheel - does it?

Would burr walnut be option coded?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom