124 bad rattling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

langbaybart

on tickover my 124 rattles under the floor badly , like a pipe or gaurd is lo se any one elses do this , only on tick over , is there heat shealds on top of the gear box, drives me mad but cant see sod all ?????????????:crazy: :crazy:

yes lots of heat shields that could be touching the exhaust or the exhaust could be touching the body... you mention an engine swap in another thread, may have something to do with that!

did it before i changed engin , looked but couldent see anything obveuse, must be aheat sheald or a auto pipe ??doneit for 5 years so cant be engin

Check the engine mounts and check the bracket that runs from the gearbox to the exhaust system - it may have snapped

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Probably the outer heat shields of the exhaust down pipes leading to the cat which are crimped/ tack welded to the pipe. With time they corrode and start to rattle. You can effect a temporary repair with some "panel beating" and big jubilee clips but don't expect the repairs to last too long. nothing to worry about just annoying.

The heat shield covering the steering box and travelling down the bulkhead are known to rattle a bit. Worth popping the bonnet and having a tug at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom