124 coupe/cabriolet - adjusting door windows

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CabrioDave

Car
A124 E220 Cabriolet
The glass in both my doors comes too high: if I close the windows, then lower them slightly, all is fine. They seem correct in "tilt" and in how far out from the door seals they are. The top and rear edges are nicely parallel with their respective rubber seals.

I've read up what I can find, on all the various bolts and adjustments, and what a pig alignment can be ... and am now too scared to try, in case I mess up the other aspects! All I want to alter is how far up the glass can come. Is there a stop which can be set, so that the glass finishes rising when the front edge is nicely in line with the sloping edge of the "triangle" which holds the mirror?

Attachments

• IMG_1182.jpg
    IMG_1182.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 28
Suspicious that they are both out of adjustment?

Can they be 'normalised' as with more current models? Resetting the auto limits?

I've just spent the best part of a day replacing and setting up the window regulator on my coupe's door which I'm guessing is the same setup as a cabriolet (not had the door trims off mine yet).

There are two top stops on the door and they can be adjusted in isolation i.e. without affecting the rest of the alignment. Take the door trim off and you'll see them at the top edge of the door. I've circled them in the attached picture. Drop your windows to where you want them, loosen the two 10mm bolts and slide them down. Tighten, check and repeat until you're happy with them.

FWIW, the tilt is adjusted from the outside of the door after removing the Sacco panels. Everything else to do with setting up the window is pure black magic. I've never seen so many variables. :wallbash:

Attachments

• coupe door.jpg
    coupe door.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 55
I've just spent the best part of a day replacing and setting up the window regulator on my coupe's door which I'm guessing is the same setup as a cabriolet (not had the door trims off mine yet).

There are two top stops on the door and they can be adjusted in isolation i.e. without affecting the rest of the alignment. Take the door trim off and you'll see them at the top edge of the door. I've circled them in the attached picture. Drop your windows to where you want them, loosen the two 10mm bolts and slide them down. Tighten, check and repeat until you're happy with them.

FWIW, the tilt is adjusted from the outside of the door after removing the Sacco panels. Everything else to do with setting up the window is pure black magic. I've never seen so many variables. :wallbash:
Thank you, Roadhog! That's just the sort of thing I was hoping for - two stop-sets that can be adjusted without messing up everything else.

I shall give it a try!

Just a word of warning on this, if you adjust the front side window to sit too high at the front the chassis around the windscreen will nibble the tops of the window by the top radius. There is also supposed to be a 2. 0 mm [from memory] difference in height between the front and rear side windows, rear being higher.

Just a word of warning on this, if you adjust the front side window to sit too high at the front the chassis around the windscreen will nibble the tops of the window by the top radius. There is also supposed to be a 2. 0 mm [from memory] difference in height between the front and rear side windows, rear being higher.

Thanks for that. The problem I'm having is that, with the glass fully raised, the top edge has a hard time getting under the rubber seal. Dropping it an important few mm allows that to happen properly ... and suddenly the doors close so much more slickly. The near side one is worse, and must have been like that for a while: the glass is, as you say, "nibbled" near the radius.

Trim removal tools on order!

Ahh, right, sorry had not understood it being too high. Try also Krytox on the seals = magic. MB sell it as do VAG group but I am not sure what they call it.

Foggy spray or egg white liquid.

Yes, left side of body seems most vicious.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom