124 coupe claddings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I always seems to have a bit of an issue when giving the VIN number to Mercedes when i'm ordering bits (apparently they have to check another system!?) and the fella said it's possible the car was a special request from Germany (either that or it's a ringer :)?! It was supplied by Alan Day, but i'll ask whether the monotone would have been at the request of the buyer next i'm there.

..interesting indeed,

im going to for for the monotone look, 300CE yours looks real good, i like it on the darker colours and i think on the Azurite it will complement the car quite well, the only thing im a bit iffy about is perhaps it will bring out the 'wavey look' characteristics of the cladding a bit more from certain angles however?

The girls is going to Clive this weekend to have some jobs on so i thought that seeing as these bits will be off why not spray them.

I think it'll look quality Bill - i'm sure Clive would be able to advise as to whether it will show any imperfections. If you do decide to finally go for it, see if Clive is able to provide some before and after pics as well!

I can say with certainty, my coupe (one of the last - made April '96 and registered Sept '96) came out with a monotone paint job.

The finish, however was slightly matted - it barely shows in the before and after shots - and all I did was to have the cladding done in a high gloss to match the rest of the car.

Before:
MB E320 Coupe A.jpg
After:
MB E320 Coupe B.jpg

My E280 estate has the different colour lower panels but I do like the colour coding. When I had my 500E I had the panels colour coded as preferred the silver that way and the shine on the lower panels.
Don't remember that colour coding from the factory was an option back in the day but some of the last cars did have less of a contrast between top and bottom halves.

There is a red/crimson that two tones very well IMHO.

Both of my cars were manufactured mid 1996, both have monotone, both have complete and known histories, niether have been refinished/repainted.

It is hard to get them to look right with two tones some work very well, others just do not work at all............

Just dragged out the last published brochure and pricelist for the W124 E Class Coupe and Cabriolet and compared it to earlier copies . From the various photos it looks as if all the darker shades were produced from the factory in monotone but lighter colours were not. So for example Azurite Blue cars are monotone whereas Brilliant silver are two tone (mine is Brilliant silver). I have owned mine since new so am certain there has been no refinishing/respraying.

Last edited:
Here is one that seems to suit the two tone treatment........

Last edited:
I still own the 1988 300CE that I bought new in May of 1988.
As far as I know in the North American market a color matched cladding was not offered as an option from MB.
AMG however offered color matching of the cladding on the C124.

Attachments

• DSCF0083.jpg
    DSCF0083.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Here is one that seems to suit the two tone treatment........

thats what mines looks like albeit a bit darker, i think i want to achive the look that incorporates the finish of the rest of the body

a bit difficult to make out below, but currently doesnt look that bad, just wondering if it may off line the car a little? however the front and rear bumpers are the same finish to the rest of the body, just the cladding is in a matt type finish.

..oh and the bottom sills.

billyw124-albums-w124-coupe-18-s-amg-picture4233-img-4333.jpg

ok so got the car back couple of weeks ago and just got her washed.

...here is the result of the cladding and sills to match the body. I think it looks quite nice IMO and matches the bumpers perfectly now. :thumb:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Now that is a sweet looking car. Great colour and the colour coding works brilliantly. Get plenty of wax on those bottom halves.

Now that is a sweet looking car. Great colour and the colour coding works brilliantly. Get plenty of wax on those bottom halves.

Cheers Toby, My backs broken and my biceps hurt after today LOL! cnt squat no more!

Easier to clean when they are glossy.

Your car is starting to look very nice now Billy, it's a credit to you!

Easier to clean when they are glossy.

Your car is starting to look very nice now Billy, it's a credit to you!

Why Thank you Sir, taking the queen out in town tonight with it. i think she'll like it!

agreed, i found the matt finish was a PIA to clean, this is just a quick nice smooth wipe down going fwd.

Nice one Billy - I think it looks great both ways! I must admit, though, the step so close to your rear bumper gave my stomach a turn! It was a few little piles of bricks left by a builder at the previous owner's house that started my issues!!

Really cool Billy. My saloon when it hits the paint shop will have 1 colour all over. The same as your as it happens.
Are you at the London GTG tomorrow?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom