124 Foglamp wiring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Niks

MB Enthusiast
I have recently put on a W124 E500 front bumper onto my car and now I want to get the fog lamps connected up and working.

What I want to know is, is it possible to disconnect the existing fog lamps in the main headlight cluster and route those wires down into the fog lamps in the bumper?

I had a look today and I see one brown and one white cable going to the fog lamp bulb in the headlamp cluster. The fog lamps in the bumper has one black and one brown wire going into a 2 pin connector.

So what I am trying to achieve is, when I activate the foglamps, I want the bumper fog lamps to come on instead of the ones in the headlamp cluster.

Can anyone advise me?

Cheers

Mercedes normal convention is brown is earth. So your white lead is 12v power and brown will go to earth. You can test this with a small multimeter. I imagine the same applies to the bumper lamp with black the supply and brown the earth so basically white to black and brown to brown should wire up your bumper fogs. but check with a multimeter don't just assume that its correct.
ps the standard headlight fogs are really effective.

I think you will find the lamps in the E500 bumper are in fact driving lamps, not fog lights and should be wired in to the main beam circuit. The fog lights are indeed adjacent to the headlights.

I think you will find the lamps in the E500 bumper are in fact driving lamps, not fog lights and should be wired in to the main beam circuit. The fog lights are indeed adjacent to the headlights.

Same thing with the AMG w124s

Are you sure? I thought set up on the E500 is, the inner cluster lights are high beam, the outer being normal beam and the fogs are in the bumper? Thats why the high beam lenses are clear with a chrome surrounding on the E500 compared to the standard 124?

Just got it confirmed, the lights in the E500 bumper are fog lamps and not aux lights. The inner cluster lights are high beams only. Brown wires are ground and the black/whites are 12V feeds.

if you disconnect the standard fog lights and wire the bumper bulbs in, you could be looking at an MoT fail - all lights fitted must work.

It just depends how keen/knowledgeable your tester is

Fog lights are not an MOT test item - there is no requirements for fitted fog lights to function for MOT pass.

W124 500e's have fog lamps in the bumper - the small sections next to the grille in the headlamp unit are the flasher/high beam lights on a 500e.

So correct set-up with 500e bumper would be to re-route the existing fog lamp wires down to the 500e bumper fogs - and re-route the high beam wires to the stock w124 fog light sections. This is all achieved by changing the wire connection on the 6-pin plug on the side of the headlamp unit itself rather than mucking about with wires at the bulbs. finally, remove the metal spring clip fitted in front of the bulb itself in the small section of the headlamp unit (the sotck w124 'fog' lamp section) to achieve the 'high' beam set-up.

You now have a w124 500e lighting configuration.

Plug in an M119 for full 500e effect :D

talbir

I thought the rule was if fog lights are fitted then they must work otherwise its a fail.

How would you reconfigure the wiring on the 6 pin plug connector? Are they soldered on or just screwed in?

If you want to turn your inboard fog lamps into true high beams , you will need to swap the ribbed lens for a clear one - otherwise the beam will be diffused into a wide beam as was intended for a fog light and will probably not throw far enough to be of use .

As above , FRONT foglamps are not testable items , but at least one REAR fog lamp is mandatory and therefore testable from sometime mid 80's and with earlier cars must work if fitted .

Although the front foglamps are not testable under the MOT . if you are using them INSTEAD of headlamps during a time when visiblity is reduced to less than 100m by fog or falling snow , which you are entitled to , and one of them is not working , thereby allowing your car to impersonate a motorcycle , you can still be pulled by the police and charged with a lighting offence - so make sure they are in good working order .

Oh , should have said , wires are soldered into the connector pins .

The wires are removable from the connecting plugs - you can swap them around from pin to pin to get change the way the fog lights/high beam works.

The light diffusing on the fog lamp is largely done by the metal diffsuer fitted in front of the bulb inside the unit - remove that and you'll get more than adequate usage from the high beam. The lense pattern isn't a hurdle from my experience.

Yes rear fog lamp is testable but only need one and it must be on the right hand side of the vehicle on both RHGD and LHD cars (as you face the vehicle from behind), i.e. UK drivers side.

talbir

I'll work on that tomorrow and see how I get on.

GFP2 has the AMG Gen 2 kit and the fog lights in the lower kit come on when the main fog lights are turned on

so i just took the bulbs out of the main headlight fog lights and so when i turn the fog lights on (cant ever remember having too) only the bottom set come on

How do you remove the 6 pin plug to get access to the wires? Is this where all the wiring is done for both headlamps?

It just pulls out - they tend to be very stiff .

The cap will pry off to allow pins to be removed / soldered / desoldered .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom