124 Holy Grail about to come to market?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mercboiuk

MB Enthusiast
Car
1995 E320 Coupe
There a Hammer at Avantgarde in Staffs - one of only two RHD I thought. It's v fine... I have seen it on my trips there. But it's a 5.0 L motor... not 6.0 L. I didn't know there were many variants but then I don't know anything... Either way, I have a set of Aero I wheels in the Hammer's black finish I need to sell - or maybe I keep them and find a car for them!!

The Hammer was available in all 124 styles and in the coupe in narrow and wide body styles.

Of the M117, there was 5.0, 5.2, 5.4, 5.6 and 6.0 engines, each with a choice of 2 valve and 4 valve heads IIRC.

Then there were body kits, suspension, brakes, wheel and full or part interior options.
This was the era of AMG when your car was tailored to your preference and wallet!
That's what makes any Hammer rare, even more so a full conversion (which this potentially is - no mention of interior yet).

Darren

Most of the cars that lot sell are Japanese imports. I researched a G55 they had, (still have I think), after talking with Affalterbach I decided not to proceed.

I think this is the one with the manual gearbox.

The Hammer was available in all 124 styles and in the coupe in narrow and wide body styles.

Of the M117, there was 5.0, 5.2, 5.4, 5.6 and 6.0 engines, each with a choice of 2 valve and 4 valve heads IIRC.

Then there were body kits, suspension, brakes, wheel and full or part interior options.
This was the era of AMG when your car was tailored to your preference and wallet!
That's what makes any Hammer rare, even more so a full conversion (which this potentially is - no mention of interior yet).

Darren

Hammer was produced in 5.0, 5.6 and 6.0 all with quad cam heads....no two valve engines or different capacities

Whilst you could pick and choose how to spec a Merc back in the 70/80's with AMG bits and pieces, the Hammer was different, the drivetrain was highly modified, as was the engine bay and they were al full conversions. The interior however was left to individual taste as was whether you wanted a bodykit or not. As a result the Hammer production run was limited to less than 30 cars and they were very, very expensive when new....the last 6.0 Coupe had, from memory a list price of $160,000 when new.

Of the three UK cars, the first was converted at AMG in Germany and was used as the Press Car and the next two by Strattons.

Last edited:
If it is a wide arch coupe then it is a good chance that it may be a AMG Japan build.

Most of the recent cars that have appeared for sale were AMG Japan.
My guess is less then five were built outside of Japan.
There were no USA built wide arch coupes be it "hammer" or any other engine.

The main reason for the low build numbers of the C124 wide arch was that the cost brought it close to the C126 wide arch, so more C126 wide arch builds were sold globally.

Ed A.

Of the three UK cars, the first was converted at AMG in Germany and was used as the Press Car and the next two by Strattons.

Thanks for the knowledgeable information Vlad :thumb:

3 UK cars?
I knew of the ELO car now owned by talbir and of course your old car - the 2 Stratton cars?
What was the third car? Was this the one which was written off?
Another saloon?

Info please! :rock: :D

Darren

Thanks for the knowledgeable information Vlad :thumb:

3 UK cars?
I knew of the ELO car now owned by talbir and of course your old car - the 2 Stratton cars?
What was the third car? Was this the one which was written off?
Another saloon?

Info please! :rock: :D

Darren

One 5.0 which is my old one and two 5.6's....one of which is Talbir's which is ex George Harrison. I've got magazines from the 80's showing the three cars, all with different interiors. The third car is believed to have been written off

Last edited:
Dee-124CAB said:
Two doors too many...

Get a seven seat version. Imagine the sight of two small passengers pressed up against the rear screen under full bore ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom