124 Indicator stalk issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J532KTT

Car
Mercedes 230TE '91
Driving home from church this morning, I turned on my wiper and it worked fine.
I tried to turn it off and the switch was stuck in position. The wash button is stuck solid too!
Is there any way I can free it up or is it new stalk time? The stalk was really hot to touch for sometime after turning the ignition off.
Regards

It’s likely melted and will need to be replaced, some information on a W202 below, I think the W124 stalk may be similar.
See… Wiper has started working on it's own - Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums

Dec

10875d1212616020-intermittent-wiper-comes-when-not-position-stalk4.jpg

It sure sounds like the stalk has had it. I think I'd opt for a genuine M-B rather than one of the after market replacements.

Sweet.
It was really hot to touch and I was sure something was wrong.
How easy is it to fit?
A man in Welwyn Garden has a variety of switches but says he can't match the part no to my chassis. Does this matter or can I use any switch from that Era Merc?

Take the wiper fuse out, as a precaution… if it hasn’t already blown.

Whatever you buy, before you fit it, remove the panel under the steering wheel and plug the replacement in so you can test it on all speeds before fitting… the steering wheel has to come off in order to fit the stalk on to the steering column.

No idea what you need, looking on eBay, there are some different versions, see here… w124 wiper stalk switch in Vehicle Parts & Accessories | eBay

See also … Steering wheel removal

Also … Indicator/wiper stalk removal

Do you have an air bag and what year is the car?

You would be wise to go to an MB dealer with your VIN and get a price for a new one, if its too expensive then get the part number so you will know what you need if you buy elsewhere.

Buying a used is not recommended as it may well be worn out too, unless you’re lucky or it’s very cheap.

Dec
[YOUTUBE]Ee_BfGDloTE[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]w7BCiztRuoU[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
I've just tried it again. Stalk is crunchy and wiper went half a sweep before the fuse blew.
The man said he checked the VIN I gave him and there were multiple ones listed.
If anyone can check the VIN, I'd be greatful.

Having the VIN would be useful.

I can't see there being more than one for a W124.

Thank you very much!
Got it booked in for Tuesday. Chap in Hertfordshire is doing it for £60-00 parts and labour.
Cheers for the help.

Right. Back on the hunt urgently.
Man at Charlton Parts in Cambridge says he has a part which is from an 87' 124 where the part number is slightly different.
I'm at a loss. Mercedes list 1145 & 1045 as parts for the 124, neither of those are the one Charlton have.
Has anyone got diagrams showing differences?

If I were you I'd head to the nearest scrappy - get the guy to let you plug it into the connector under the dash and check it works before paying .

As with the others , I'd expect a stalk from pretty much any W124 to work , W123 , W126 and W201 may also fit and work fine .

The amount of wear visible on the end would be a fair indication of how much use it has had - ie if all the white markings have been rubbed off it is probably best avoided , if fresh and new looking probably has seen little use and maybe a good bet . Worth a punt for maybe a tenner or so .

Got one from a saloon. The only thing that's not working is the synchronised front and rear intermittent wiper timings and the rear wiper switching on when reversing. Not bad for £20. From a 117k mile car.

Thats more likely to be the N10 relay than the switch. Don't think the column stalk is involved in those functions at all.

Worked fine before replacing the stalk... Either way, it's working :)

Thinking about it again it must be involved in the reversing function. My mistake. Was the replacement from an estate too?

Not sure how the estate is set up and if having a stalk from a saloon fitted to an estate would make any difference, however, if the wiper blade is not parking where it should when you switch the front wiper off, OR, if the intermittent wiper action is not working on the front wiper then its likely to be the N10 relay that’s at fault.

See… http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/electronics/145168-e300-indercator-relay-where.html

Guide… N10 Relay, Soldering Repair, Wiper - Indicators & Hazards - Rear Window Demister. - Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums

Dec

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom