124 instrument cluster illumination (or lack off)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
In my 124, I switch on my side lights or head lights and my cluster just barely illuminates. I have checked that the dimmer is fully on and I have fitted all new bulbs to the cluster.

What to do please?

There is a copper trace in the circuit board of the cluster that cause's that, I normally solder a wire across to bypass it.

RHEOSTATJUMP.jpg

Guys

Does the speedo cable unplug or unscrew, or both? I can just get a hand onto mine but there is little room and it does not want to move. I am not sure what I am doing.

Any help appreciated.. Please, please, pretty please.

If this is the w124 take the the rheostat out and strip it down ,A camera is a good tool Clean the copper track inside with a cloth .Dont rub it or you will need a new one .Yours will be more square than the picture in post above . Only three screws hold it in . Bend the tags over so you can open it up .Now make sure you keep in mind how the parts go back in easy . Did the one in the speedo as i replaced the pot gear ,well re fixed P/G to the shaft after it came loose with supper glue after roughing up the shaft . The plug needs removing before you get the speedo cable off .Take pics of bulb locations .Mine had numbers on wires and on the location holes .

Guys

Does the speedo cable unplug or unscrew, or both? I can just get a hand onto mine but there is little room and it does not want to move. I am not sure what I am doing.

Any help appreciated.. Please, please, pretty please.

Bruce, it will unscrew anticlockwise.

Hmm. Must be tight. I sent you a text message Simon.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Thank you Bruce, I've just spotted that. Many thanks for what your doing.

It's been another of those crazy days up here again.:crazy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom