124 Pre-Facelift Bottom Door Trim/Strip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Folks

Does anybody know how to re-fit the plastic bottom door strip on a w124?

To get it off, I undid the Torx Screw at the trailing edge of the door then pushed it upwards towards the window and it popped off. ALl good and all the clips are still in one piece.

I am struggling to figure, how you get it back on to the clips, with the clips in situ?

I'm wondering whether you've broken the "heads" off the plastic clips.

In the door panel, do you have squared holes, each with a smaller rectangle joining it? If so, the strip is designed to come off by undoing the screw and then sliding the strip rearwards, rather than upwards. See: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7u1i4Z1sXf4

Wrong answer...

OK. (Thanks for the helpful detail on why you think that!:D )

Are the clips stuck in the door, having parted from the strip?
If so, I reckon they need to be first removed from the door. The same sliding-square principle is used on the upper edge of the later Sacher panels (though the clips look slightly different). There, the clips sit into little slots on the panel - rather a weak connection, but they can be persuaded (and if necessary glued) back to the panel. Then the whole thing reslid into place.

This is a pre facelift no Saco Panel car. There are no keyhole slots in the door for the clips and the clips are not (as far as I know) broken.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Hi

Dave. The vid shows him removing the middle trim and not the bottom one. I feel I'm being really stupid. It sure cannot be this complicated. We have one bit of trim and some clips. What could go wrong?

Here is a pic of one of my bottom clips.

Last edited:
OK ... nothing obvious there ...

I'm guessing that the clip is in the door. What does the inside of the trim look like?

Dave

That looks like it may well be the answer. Thank you. I will have a go in the morning and post back the results.

It had to be something really silly, like that. I had tried pushing Down and Thumping. When I tried up, it seemed not to help, but I was not really sure what I was doing then and stopped to avoid any damage to the clips. Now I have a mental picture I will try again with some confidence.

What is confusing is the middle ones are very easy to get on/off and you assume that the bottom are the same - WRONG. Its a Merc, nothing is easy.

Last night I was uber impressed when refitting my rear bumper, to discover a lovely, well engineered rubber weather moulding that attaches to the bodywork but creates a seal between the body and the rear bumper gap to stop the weather penetrating down behind the bumper. My friend (who does lots of old Mercs) tells me that people, being unsure what this was often pushed it in and deformed it or pulled it off as it they were not sure of its function. Great engineering, sadly now rarely seen.

Bruce i had the same problem with the clips i had off ebay. They look the same as the strip on the wing [bottom part] And i had to remove the old clips, from the old wing that i removed , and fit them to get it to hold on ,.I put it down to the ebay clips . Bruce if the clips in the picture are right ,they are the same as i had along the wing bottom . And original ones are what you need .I think they are grey in colour .,The white nylon clips are not very good after they are used once .To fit the strip you slot it in the bottom and at the same time lift it amd push on .These finisher parts on the door bottoms, and wings, are dear on ebay .When you look at them ,then you can see why .The material is moulded on to stainless steel .

Gentlemen

Big thank you to all who responded. Job done.

The trick is to have the door open, roll the strip st 45 degrees under the door to catch the bottom of the clips in the bottom of the trim channel, then push the top of the trim inwards towards the door.

Perfection is restored with no new clips required.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom