124 seat ratchet, help needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

philiggy

Car
C180 Estate & C220 CDI
Hi all
The drivers seat rachet slips backward some times, its better if you leave the the knob in the head rest position.

Is ths a common fault ? or is it cos I'm a fat bugger?

Cheers
Phil

The one on my old 200TE used to do that (170,000miles, '93).
And I'm really skinny.

Phil, I took your post as referring to the backrest rake adjustment, since you refer to the headrest adjuster position of the knob - rotate for rake adjustment, pull and rotate for headrest height adjustment ? Mine did get tired with age, and indeed held better with the knob pulled out. I never got round to investigating it further, just bought a newer car ;).

edit: dieselman's found the picture. Looks like it's sortable.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what is causing it bot the back of the seat some times just gives way backward.

Leaving the adjuster in the headrest position seems to help.

I wondered if somthing had worked loose or if I needed to get hold of a seat frame?

not sure if this is making sense:confused:

Has anyone tried stripping down a seat?
Phil

The seats are quite straight forward to dismantle, the covering just slides off once the clips are removed from the bottom.

I can look over the weekend see if there are any written instuctions

The seats are quite straight forward to dismantle, the covering just slides off once the clips are removed from the bottom.

I can look over the weekend see if there are any written instuctions

That would be great if you could, I'm fine with instructions, without them I tend to wreck everything :eek:

Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom