124 Wagon Sunroof Wind Deflector?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Friends

On the 124 The electric factory sunroof has a "wind deflector". This is the strip that stops that wind from buffeting inside the cockpit. I believe that it should be spring loaded to raise when the rood opens lower when the roof closes?

If it is spring loaded then mine is not as it will lift up and down with no issue but not automatically and has no visible spring(s). Does anybody know:

1) Should it have spring(s)
2) Where they would locate?

Any diagrams would be brilliant.

Cheers

Bruce

Pics of a '93 124 coupe with sunroof mechanism with deflector up and pushed down

Hope this helps

Chris
93 220CE, auto, red / black leather, 116k, Manchester

Attachments

• DSC01585 (Small).JPG
    DSC01585 (Small).JPG
    118 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC01586 (Small).JPG
    DSC01586 (Small).JPG
    113 KB · Views: 17
Chris Thank you. Looking at your first pic it appears that the deflector is connected is connected to the arms on either side of the sun roof sliders? I have these arms and they DO NOT appear to be spring loaded. They are free to move to the touch (up or down) but I see nothing that raises them.

In my pic this is the arm with a screw on the bottom.

Last edited:
OK, took a further look (removing the chrome strip, six screws, directly below the deflector and visible in the cabin)

There appear to be springs, one each side, which are visible when the deflector is lifted up

The arms at the side are there to push the spring-loaded deflector down as the sunroof closes

Regards, Chris

Attachments

• DSC01596 (Small).JPG
    DSC01596 (Small).JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 24
Chris

Wow. Thank you for the brilliant and fast response. I shall go and have a look now. I love the colour of your car. Very nice.

Chris.

Well done Sir. I attach a pic of the "springs" I found.

I shall call MB parts Monday morning.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Last edited:
Glad to be able (even as someone with barely "tinkerer" skill level) to give something back to the community.

(Also I want to go out for a bike ride now , so good to see this get temporary closure).

Regards Chris

Does anybody have a close up pic or drawing of how the springs locate please?

I have new springs but they need some knowledge to fit them.

Dear God..

After a day spent attempting to fit the brand new MB springs and collars using a variety of photo's, Google, Forums etc. I finally decide it will simply not fit!!. I ask my neighbour to help. He agrees it will not fit.

I then phone MB who now tell me that I actually need to replace the entire Wind Deflector, along with the springs (that I have now damaged). So for two springs and a day wasted, I need to spend another £50 and wait another week on yet more parts, all for one broken spring.

I did that job on one of my W126's a few years back , all I can remember is that it was a real faff and I had to try numerous times before I got it right , and that was with another car with a correctly working deflector to refer to !

It IS possible , but I'm truly sorry I can't remember how .

I've been on holiday this past week and had more than usual time for forum-ing , but back to work on Monday so will likely not be on so much after that :(

All done.

Due to the springs being obsolete now, I had to buy a new deflector to accept the new springs.

It is also clear that Mercedes started with a spring then built a car around it.

Fiddilier than a fiddly thing to fit. Double jointed super skinny fingers are a must have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom