126, 140, 220 or 124?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flat6buster

Car
W222 S350, 911sc
So having 4 cars between 2 of us is a bit excessive. Fortunately the 212 is a lease car so that goes back to Merc next year. That will leave me with a G Wagen and an SL. I was going to flog the G but with this being an el nino year I am not going to because sod's law suggests the minute I sell it we will have 2 feet of snow!

This means I need a slightly more dog-friendly mode of transport than the SL. He can get in the back but it's a bit of a wriggle for every day.

As my commute will be down to 4 miles I don't need a new car any more so am looking at just swapping the SL on money terms with either an S class or a 124.

I have long loved the 126 (especially the sec but the dog I think precludes one of those) but I am increasingly drawn towards the 140 for some reason and also the 220 is growing on me (save for the back lights which I never liked).

Question is, which would make most sense and be the most rewarding car to own. As I said it's a 4 mile commute plus occasional 20 mile trips for shopping and dog walks, and a few 200 mile trips here and there. Not mega mileage by any means.

I've a soft spot for v8's so it would have to be a 500, but would I find a later car more relaxing/comfortable/refined or would my memories of being taken to school in a 500sel W126 of a friend's dad still hold true - swift, quiet, soft, refined?

W220s I think have a reputation for unreliability, W140s are soooo heavy I think they might be very slow and a W126 I think would be simpler and cheaper to fix when it goes wrong. It also has a slightly more 'classic' appeal than the others which I like.

Then there's the left of field choice of a 124. I can't justify an E500 for such dreary daily duties so it would have to be a 300/320. I worry I might miss the v8 and the effortless wallop they have. Is that justified or not?

any ownership experiences would be much appreciated.

After a two year gap I have been in a couple of well sorted W124s of late and they are almost as comfortable as a W126. The 320 is a properly torquey engine (power to weight is not far off the W126s). In estate form doggie can have a huge comfy load area too.

I think a well sorted W126 or W124 would be a long term car that will hold its value. I am no longer looking at the W140 for me.

Took one of the Cabbies out after not driving them for some time and I was well impressed. A properly maintained 124 is really a nice place to be, quite amazing considering they were essentially designed in the late 70's

As my commute will be down to 4 miles...

I wouldn't be happy using any of the cars you are considering for the above. If I was in a similar position I'd buy a small Jap box for a station car along with a W126 500SE or a W124T to make life a little easier and more practical for the wolves.

Last edited:
thanks for replies - seems there's little love for the W220. Maybe its time will come......

No one's trying to tempt me off of a W126, so I think I am leaning that way.

The temptation is to put more money in and get a minter but I think if its got some miles on it and is not perfect I won't cry when SWMBO drags the side of it down the hedges (she does INSIST on driving with the passenger side of the car actually IN the hedge....!)

W124 would be my choice having just bought a 300TE.

Objectively the W220 is the best car.

Subjectively the W126 is the most satisfying and the most emotionally involving.

I have owned all and have driven many many miles in all of them, including every engine combination possible.
I use a W220 as a daily driver despite my very low mileage. EVERYONE tells me i'm crazy and that I should get a Polo/Yaris/other generic rubbish. Why would I want to sit in an uncomfortable seat in stop/start traffic?

Here's some of my views on W220 ownership.
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general-discussion/192240-real-world-ownership-w220.html

I also have a very nice W124 200E knocking about. Unfortunately it only gets driven as a last resort. It's a decent car in every respect and very narrow compared to your other options which does make threading the car through gaps very easy.
Unfortunately, i've become accustomed to the refinement and luxury of the W220 and the W124 just isn't a patch on it really.

The W124 does have more soul though...

At this age, W126s and W140s are becoming more expensive to run, especially as rust can now be a serious hidden issue in some areas. I don't think this decision can be made entirely by your head.

Last edited:
I have a soft spot for both the W124 and the W126.

124 estate? that is a real dog wagon. That said our dog is very happy in the back of the SEC, with safety harness plugged into the seat belt.

Of course you won't get a V8 in a 124, unless you spend mega money, whereas a 126, no problems.

MY SEC ownership experience is here

Last edited:
I have a soft spot for both the W124 and the W126.

124 estate? that is a real dog wagon. That said our dog is very happy in the back of the SEC, with safety harness plugged into the seat belt.

Of course you won't get a V8 in a 124, unless you spend mega money, whereas a 126, no problems.

MY SEC ownership experience is here

I wonder if you can tell me - when the passenger seat is set for a sensible seating position , is the hinge point of the backrest/squab level with the back of the door or is there a gap (ie the seat squab is ahead of the back end of the door aperture).

In the SL there is no gap between the back of the door and the seat squab when the backrest is tilted and it is this that makes it awkward for getting the dog in. Even with the seat pulled forward there's little gap. If there was 6 inches it would make his life a lot easier and render an sec on the possible list (oh heavens yes purrrlease).

Objectively the W220 is the best car.

At this age, W126s and W140s are becoming more expensive to run, especially as rust can now be a serious hidden issue in some areas. I don't think this decision can be made entirely by your head.

I have to say that given the choice between depreciation and repair, I prefer repair. My old 911 needs bodywork but as it is appreciating the pain is not so hard to bear......

I wonder if you can tell me - when the passenger seat is set for a sensible seating position , is the hinge point of the backrest/squab level with the back of the door or is there a gap (ie the seat squab is ahead of the back end of the door aperture).

In the SL there is no gap between the back of the door and the seat squab when the backrest is tilted and it is this that makes it awkward for getting the dog in. Even with the seat pulled forward there's little gap. If there was 6 inches it would make his life a lot easier and render an sec on the possible list (oh heavens yes purrrlease).

I will post a photo and measure it later.

you are a scholar and a gent, as they used to say in some commercial or other

I have to say that given the choice between depreciation and repair, I prefer repair. My old 911 needs bodywork but as it is appreciating the pain is not so hard to bear......

Your short list is a good one then.

The W126 is the only one that is currently appreciating without question and some of the very nice W124s/W140s.

The W220 is pretty much at the bottom of the curve. They certainly won't be appreciating for many years to come but they can't realistically lose much more money.

Your short list is a good one then.

The W126 is the only one that is currently appreciating without question and some of the very nice W124s/W140s.

The W220 is pretty much at the bottom of the curve. They certainly won't be appreciating for many years to come but they can't realistically lose much more money.

Agreed the 220s look quite stunning value, and a later one with comand etc has all the toys you'd ever want.

I'd venture that any of the cars mentioned are too good to mess up the interiors with dogs .

My choice would be to keep the SL and get an absolute dog of an early A Class , which can be bought for next to nothing , has loads of room in the back for dogs , doesn't matter if it gets wrecked inside , or dragged down hedgerows , and would be just fine for a four mile commute - also doesn't take up much space . Then you can still enjoy the SL on sunny days .

Here you go, i am 5ft 10, and i tend to sit in a fairly extended position. So approx 8 inches to a foot from the rear of the seat to the pillar.

01D2KNm-LKoTze5i-AVIpGfCGz0udsE8Cn71kzLnzlU=w940-h705-no

Last edited:
I'd venture that any of the cars mentioned are too good to mess up the interiors with dogs .

Derek I can assure you that my dog, does not mess anything up, she does moult, but that is fine with leather and a hoover.

Gratuitous dog photo :)

tc09myzM8FgE4zeMiDNy24zwDKht1qylx7j2rr9hZes=w529-h705-no

Here you go, i am 5ft 10, and i tend to sit in a fairly extended position. So approx 8 inches to a foot from the rear of the seat to the pillar.
This really is very kind of you. Thank you very much.

Pontoneer, I feel you might not understand that the dog is the most important member of the family as I am constantly reminded by the wife.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using MBClub UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom