• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

126 SEC - Rust and respray question

you might also enjoy this!

Shame all the pictures have disappeared.

Ah interesting, I wasn't aware that silver was a difficult one to match in general. Good to know, thanks!

Silver or any other metallic paint is tough to match because the size of the flakes could differ between brands of paint, and painting flakes over flakes would make that one panel 'pop' more than the rest of the car. To avoid this, the body shop will probably need to paint the whole side of the car so that the repair does not stand out.

That said, it's an old paint and should be easy to match with any paint system from a paint code and they can always tint it accordingly. In any case, a good body shop will know exactly what to do.

Ah interesting, shame they don't make it any more. I contacted Prestige Mercedes in Sevenoaks today as they seem to have a lot of experience with the SEC and this particular fix...
I have used Vanleigh for over 20 years who are in West molesey
Ah interesting, shame they don't make it any more. I contacted Prestige Mercedes in Sevenoaks today as they seem to have a lot of experience with the SEC and this particular fix...
I have used Vanleigh who are in West Molesey for over 20 years, they did the repair on my 560 and many other repairs + all my other cars. Highly recommended., Speak to Ron or Lee. 02080783 1212. Thats if they are more convenient.

I have used Vanleigh for over 20 years who are in West molesey

I have used Vanleigh who are in West Molesey for over 20 years, they did the repair on my 560 and many other repairs + all my other cars. Highly recommended., Speak to Ron or Lee. 02080783 1212. Thats if they are more convenient.
That's great, many thanks for the recommend - much appreciated

A good bodyshop should be able to scan the existing paint and mix up a colour match and then blend in new and old when spraying but silver is one of the most difficult colours to get a good match between old and new.

I would talk to a few local bodyshops, get a feel for how they respond and what they suggest.
Smoke silver is more of a gold colour

That’s the reflection of the grass… :)
Seems it!

But I agree with the lot, I think that smoke silver is a very unusual color.. In that in very rarely looks silver; it is more gold ish.

I’ve grown to like it, don’t think it’s a bad colour tbh. Looks especially nice, in my opinion, on the w201s.. Especially cossies 😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom