128 bit WEP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mergli

Car
W208 CLK55
I just got myself a new laptop but when I try to connect to the wireless network at home with 128bit WEP enabled I get 'Limited or no connectivity'. If I disable the WEP it's fine. I've tried several passwords (13 chars is right isn't it?) to no avail.

The laptop is running XP Home and I've read some comments that a bug with this could be causing the problem but don't seem to be able to get a definitive answer. To be honest I haven't got enough spare time at home to devote a couple of hours to this at the moment (wife's just started her Masters and I'm doing extra baby and house jobs)

Anyone seen / heard of this and know a fix for the problem?

Cheers,
Adam.

I think WPA is supported (it is on my router) but I've no idea how it works....google time I guess

I use WEP 128-bit throughout .... think i'll be investing in WPA after reading that!

Mergli, I spent ages working on this as well and eventually left it without a password. My Apple Mac PowerBook connected no problem to the wireless base station with the encrypted password but I couldn't get XP to authenticate.

Although I do not have WPA (old router and I may now be upgrading - :eek: )

I may have something for you to try with your failed connection under WEP.

I have found that the windows wizard does strange things on the network front - ignore or disable this and use the utility that came with your machine/wificard - it will then connect no problem. Also ensure you have modified your firewall to include your network (range of IPs) in the trusted zone.

For 14 months I struggled to get WPA or WEP to work correctly on my wireless network. IT would work of typically three clicks, and then I would get "The page cannot be displayed" as if it would no longer allow wireless traffic. When I turned off the encryption it worked a treat. Tried several times and got the same result. Chose to live with it unencrypted.

Been running XP throughout and recently upgraded to SP2. Thought I'd try WPA again, and the three click issue is no more. Didn't do anything different - even used the same key as previous attempts!! It was as simple as selecting the WPA from a drop down on the router setup page, and specified a password/key. Did the same on the laptop and it worked!!

Good news?? Well, yes because now it's secure, but it has now highlighted a slightly different issue though...

From time to time I still get "The page cannot be displayed" but both XP and the wireless utility both show that the connection is in place and working. The workaround has been to use the XP wireless network Repair function (right click on network connection in system tray, and select Repair) - it breaks and re-establishes the link with the router, and re-sets all sorts of things link IP, DNS, etc. Can then surf again, but would rather it didn't happen? I'm wondering whether it has something to do with a dynamic IP given that it's re-issued as part of the Repair process.

Anyone have any thoughts on what might be causing it and what to check?? :confused:

Edit: I use WPA-PSK for network authentication and TKIP for encryption.

Last edited:
NormanB said:
I may have something for you to try with your failed connection under WEP.

I have found that the windows wizard does strange things on the network front - ignore or disable this and use the utility that came with your machine/wificard - it will then connect no problem. Also ensure you have modified your firewall to include your network (range of IPs) in the trusted zone.

Thanks Norman, I'll give that a try - to be honest I've forgotten all about this and my network is still unsecured, although I'm probably the only one in my village with wireless capability though (oh, except my auntie who lives down the hill I installed a wireless router for her :D )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom